New England Bugs in Mid/Late June?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
stinkycheezman33

New England Bugs in Mid/Late June?

by stinkycheezman33 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 am

I live in Michigan's UP, so I am no stranger to the little devils that are black flies and mosquitos.

I'm leaving for Peace Corps service in mid-July and I'm looking at checking out New Hampshire and Maine (namely the Presidentials and Katahdin) during the last couple weeks of June. Will I find myself going insane from bugs at this time? Or is peak season generally a little earlier? Here in the UP, late May and early/mid June are the worst times for black flies. After about June 15, things get manageable. Is it a similar situation out there, for the most part? I'm looking at doing some backpacking and some car camping with dayhikes.

I'd appreciate any comments regarding this time of year in the Northeast.

Thanks!

no avatar
bdynkin

Re: New England Bugs in Mid/Late June?

by bdynkin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I's say that the critters in the higher elevations here in the NE are not that big deal. Of course if you happen to set-up camp low and in a wet spot they may be bothersome. But in all my hiking here I frankly don't remember it being a real problem. I did some long kayaking trips in Maine and Quebec late May and that was a different story. But not while hiking in the usual places like Presidentials, especially when you get above tree line. With this said, keep your bug repellent near by, just in case.

The following user would like to thank bdynkin for this post
stinkycheezman33

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 am

Black flies around Katahdin are unfortunately thick until late June most years. I'm most familiar with the Adirondacks and it's extremely local. Some townships treat stream headwaters with BT and it really keeps the swarms down....the Adirondack high peaks are a good example. Other areas are remain pretty thick. Agree once you get above treeline the breeze often keeps 'em away. Only trouble is it takes a long time to get to treeline. Good luck with your Peace Corps adventure!

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
stinkycheezman33

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:34 am

Camped in Baxter SP a few Junes back, the bugs were pretty bad, but not bad enough to not go. We brought head nets and wore long sleeves.

The following user would like to thank EastcoastMike for this post
stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33

by stinkycheezman33 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input. Good to hear that it is not too horrible, or at least manageable...

I appreciate the comments! Any more comments (on bugs, or places to visit) would still be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:03 pm

So, where is the Peace Corps sending you ? I was a Peace Corps volunteer in the mid 70's. And good for you for volunteering. I hope it's a great adventure for you (as it was for me).

stinkycheezman33

by stinkycheezman33 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 am

El Salvador. We're really looking forward to it!
Where did you serve in the '70s?

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 pm

I was in Ecuador. I spent a few months in Quito learning Spanish, then moved to the Amazon basin working with jungle Indians. It was pretty amazing. I'm a big fan of the Peace Corps. Even today I have a "Returned Peace Corps Volunteer" sticker on my Jeep windshield. I'd actually like to serve again but I doubt it'll happen. Be safe and best of luck. Enjoy your youth !!

Check out my profile page. My profile picture is my oldest son and I on a trip to Ecuador. When he was in high school he wanted to see where I served so we spent nearly a month climbing and hanging out in Ecuador. More fond memories......................

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

I hiked Liberty and Lafayette in June 2006 and was pleasantly surprised that there were very few bugs. However, I do have a memory from childhood of being eaten alive in the Carter range in June or July, even on the bare summits.

The following user would like to thank Sam Page for this post
stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33

by stinkycheezman33 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Sam Page wrote:I hiked Liberty and Lafayette in June 2006 and was pleasantly surprised that there were very few bugs. However, I do have a memory from childhood of being eaten alive in the Carter range in June or July, even on the bare summits.

Thanks for the input Sam!

jrbrenvt

by jrbrenvt » Mon May 02, 2011 3:57 am

June and early July are peak bug season in the northeast. This has been a record setting wet spring in Vermont. Lake Champlain is at an all time record high level right now with corresponding floods in the valley, and many other lakes in the northeast are in a similar state. Usually wet springs equal big bug years. Come prepared for lots of bugs. Bring light colors (bugs like dark colors), loose fitting long pants and long sleeve, light weight shirts, hat and bug dope (deet or your best guess at what works). Some people go as far as wear (bug) head nets. That said, this does not have to ruin your outdoor plans. Just come with a good attitude towards tolerating their presence. In general I find them to be much worse in the Adirondacks then in the Whites. I think that is because their is allot more swamp lands and Lakes in the Adirondacks then the White mountain high peak area. Katahdin may be worse then the whites due to more swamps, bogs and lakes near the mountain then near the presidential range, but I do not know for sure. Also, bugs tend to disappear on windy days. Even in peak season. So weather has allot to do with it as well. So in summary, expect them and bring clothing for bugs and bug dope, but go ahead with your plans just the same. Some days they may be a non issue. Come with a sense of humor.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 pm

From Memorial Day till about mid July the worst of the blackflies are out. There are some places that I try to avoid in June, watching blue pants turn black is not real fun. Just keep moving.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Tue May 31, 2011 4:03 pm

When you are in Millinocket, go to the Appalachian Trail Cafe and get the chicken fingers.

chocodove

by chocodove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Flattlander wrote:When you are in Millinocket, go to the Appalachian Trail Cafe and get the chicken fingers.

Or anything else on the menu. Love that place!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)