Beast hikes around Munich?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mvs

Beast hikes around Munich?

by mvs » Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Howdy!

I'd like to collect a list of big hikes in the pre-alps around Munich useful for training for bigger summer trips. I like trail running or something like trail running, so here are some arbitrary rules I made up:

• Do-able in April, May, early June
  • About 2000 meters or more elevation gain/loss.
  • Some snow is okay, but emphasis is on snow-free trails (maybe traveling on south-slopes more than north, for example). The main thing is I want to wear trail runners or light hiking shoes, no big clomping mountain boots. :)
  • Ridges are grand, but if they hold cornices into June, not practical.
  • Non-technical terrain, but use of hands is always good. A bit of UIAA II to III- scrambling is awesome.
  • NO ROADS! Unless it's part of a biking start/end.

I have three so far:
  • The Director's Cut - Selinunte01's great route to bag many Ammergau summits. Nearby, and extendable into more summits. (my TR from last November)
  • The Alpspitze from Hammersbach over the Nordwand Klettersteig - I also thought you could throw in the Hochblassen too for something like 2500 meters gain/loss! You are allowed to save your knees and take the lift down. :lol: This one should probably be real mountain boots though...
  • I did this one Saturday in perfect conditions: Pyramidenspitze from the north (ferrata), along the ridge to the Petersköpfl and Naunspitze (baggable by a grade III rock scramble, unfortunately I didn't know about that), then circling back on the south slope above the Kaisertal to reclimb the Pyramidenspitze and return back the same way (~1900 meters gain/loss).

Any more? What do you guys do to get ready for summer?

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Peak Freak

Diego Sahagún

Re: Beast hikes around Munich?

by Diego Sahagún » Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Do you want only about 2000 m gain routes :?:

mvs

by mvs » Mon May 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Do you want only about 2000 m gain routes :?:

Yes, that's why I called them BEAST hikes! :lol:

mvs

by mvs » Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 pm

borutbk wrote:
mvs wrote:that's why I called them BEAST hikes! :lol:

I guess everyone is afraid of you LOL

More seriously, why don't you just do two human hikes (HH)?

Well, I don't like going all the way back to the ground. I remember this was popular when I lived in Washington State...you would go hike up Mailbox Peak a couple of times. I could never bring myself to do that...it just didn't sound fun to muck around so long in the boggy sub-alpine. So that's why I'm always looking for ways to stay high on a big hike.

Naw, nobody is afraid of me it's just that there aren't a lot of Summitposters in Munich. Maybe 3-4 active folks? Always hopin' to change that though!

japatta

by japatta » Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm

mvs wrote:
borutbk wrote:
mvs wrote:that's why I called them BEAST hikes! :lol:

Naw, nobody is afraid of me it's just that there aren't a lot of Summitposters in Munich. Maybe 3-4 active folks? Always hopin' to change that though!

So let's do the Alspitz Norwand klettersteig next Saturday?

I was actually planning something like that, and came here to ask if people knew if it was already possible this time of the year? :-)

Brecht

mvs

by mvs » Thu May 05, 2011 4:15 am

japatta wrote:So let's do the Alspitz Norwand klettersteig next Saturday?

I was actually planning something like that, and came here to ask if people knew if it was already possible this time of the year? :-)

Brecht

Cool! Well yes it is, there will be snow on some parts of the cables, so go ahead and wear mountain boots and take an ice axe. I'd probably bring crampons too for extra caution, but they'd likely stay in the pack. It's a fine idea...I was thinking about that for last Saturday but the forecast predicted a storm in the Garmisch "kessel" (cauldron). Alas I probably can't go...family duties! But let's PM for a possible mid-week early morning "dawn patrol."

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 am

Great to see this!!! Thanks for starting the thread. Will keep an eye on what suggestions come up. I know Jan & I will be looking for ideas the weekend of June 25/26. May want to do an overnight though. Will keep in touch.

mvs

by mvs » Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Peak Freak wrote:Great to see this!!! Thanks for starting the thread. Will keep an eye on what suggestions come up. I know Jan & I will be looking for ideas the weekend of June 25/26. May want to do an overnight though. Will keep in touch.

Ah, you should do the Zugspitze Hoellental klettersteig. You could sleep in the hut right below the route or on the summit! (I'd do the summit, though it makes for a long day (2000 meters elevation gain...but no need to go down!)).

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 am

As always, thanks for the tip!!!

ncst

by ncst » Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi there,
I image the 2000m elevation gain with not too much snow might be hard in april/may, since most villages are at some 500m altitude already.
Some dayhikes that come to my mind, and 1 hour by 'die BOB' from München to the villages with the trailhead, that I believe would make a great trailrun to the summit:
- Brauneck & Benediktenwand
- Seeberg & Rotwand
- Roßstein
- Schinder
- Wendelstein
- Großber Traithen
And several peaks in Berchtesgaden NP also (a bit further away though)... and Kaisergebirge

mvs

by mvs » Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm

That's all good stuff. I'm trying to create or find routes which have a certain internal logic. The "Director's Cut" is probably the best of the bunch thus far, because it neatly follows a ridge around a big cirque, yet the ridge is low enough elevation to avoid problems with snow/cornices/etc. Purely from a mechanical point of view, you can build anything...but which route has enough "magic" to get you up at 5 am? :lol:

Combining Breitenstein and Wendelstein is good...I think it's more like 1500 meters total gain...but definitely suitable for running shoes by now.

Anyway, sounds like I'm not the only one who likes to curl up with a good map! :)

mvs

by mvs » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm

(BTW, this thread will turn into an article page)

japatta

by japatta » Sun May 15, 2011 5:24 pm

What about the Karwendelspitze from Mittenwald via the Dammkarhütte or via Mittenwalder Hütte, OK less then 2000m but still a nice climb and you can come down with the cable-car.

Though also probably not "beasty" enough I do like Daniel this time of the year.

grtz,
Brecht

gert

by gert » Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Watzmann Hocheck from Wimbachbrücke will match the altitude gain you want. If you are also up for a longer distance try Hundstod from Wimbachbrücke. I guess there are a lot more oportiunities around Berchtesgaden - a nice area but don't be to early in the season. End of may, early june could be o.k. for running althoug you may encounter some smaller snowfields higher up.
Gert

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

japatta wrote:What about the Karwendelspitze from Mittenwald via the Dammkarhütte or via Mittenwalder Hütte, OK less then 2000m but still a nice climb and you can come down with the cable-car.

My boyfriend is having knee trouble right now, so climbs with a cable-car descent are very appealing at the moment! :)

Next

Return to Europe