down sleeping bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Re: down sleeping bag

by ExcitableBoy » Sun May 08, 2011 4:48 pm

RickF wrote:My advice, and yes I've posted this mantra on several other sleeping bag threads, only sleep in all of the clothes that you brought if (A) you don't have a sleeping bag, or (B) the bag you have is no where near adequate. Wear minimal clothes inside your bag, like a dry base layer and dry socks. To be warm in your bag your body has to be able to breathe freely and circulate warm blood. Getting good circlation to your extremities is essential for staying warm. If your body is radiating heat, a good bag will retain that heat and reflect it back to your body. Your body and bag have to interact. Excess clothing can constrict breathing and circulation and interferes with that interaction.

no avatar
rsf1961

western mountaineering antelope

by rsf1961 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm

should fit your bill. it's a 5* bag, but they don't fib on their numbers. if you are a cold sleeper this might not work, but it's a bag i'd consider. you can find them lightly used on ebay or gear forums in the mid-$300 range.

jareds

by jareds » Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 am

thanks all for the advice.

I went with the marmot lithium for the following reasons:
• many ppl had good stuff to say about other brands but in my research no one says anything bad about this bag
• I was able to get it at rei which has a 100% refund policy (there are probably pros and cons to this in other threads, but for me it's a pro as im unable to invest in this type of gear easily, and the freedom to test is valuable)

thanks for your help, i'll let you know how it goes!

p.s. i always bring a second set of long johns etc; i alternate and change when i get camp set up, putting on a fresh pair of dry clothes.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 am

jareds wrote:
I went with the marmot lithium for the following reasons:
• many ppl had good stuff to say about other brands but in my research no one says anything bad about this bag
• I was able to get it at rei which has a 100% refund policy (there are probably pros and cons to this in other threads, but for me it's a pro as im unable to invest in this type of gear easily, and the freedom to test is valuable)

Both fine reasons. IMNSHO, of the big outdoor manufacturers, Marmot makes the best sleeping bags.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
jareds

Kai

by Kai » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 pm

RickF wrote:
My advice, and yes I've posted this mantra on several other sleeping bag threads, only sleep in all of the clothes that you brought if (A) you don't have a sleeping bag, or (B) the bag you have is no where near adequate. Wear minimal clothes inside your bag, like a dry base layer and dry socks. To be warm in your bag your body has to be able to breathe freely and circulate warm blood. Getting good circlation to your extremities is essential for staying warm. If your body is radiating heat, a good bag will retain that heat and reflect it back to your body. Your body and bag have to interact. Excess clothing can constrict breathing and circulation and interferes with that interaction.

My experience has been 180 degrees opposite from yours, provided that my bag was cut full enough to accommodate heavy clothing. In a bag that is too small, wearing all your clothing can be restrictive, and you don't get the full benefit of the extra insulation. However, in a bag that is more fully cut, I've found that I sleep much much warmer with all of my clothing on. Whatever benefits I might gain from my body and bag "interacting" seem to be small compared with the benefits of the extra insulation provided by my warm clothing. (plus, my clothes tend to dry out overnight, which is better than having to put on frozen damp clothes the next morning.)

That's my experience. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that your solutions are not universal. However, I'd guess that most folks who do a lot of alpine climbing in cold places factor in their clothing as part of their sleeping system.

Previous

Return to Gear