On "My Profile" page - date object last updated

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Sarah Simon

On "My Profile" page - date object last updated

by Sarah Simon » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi there,

For all contributors, but certainly for those with a large volume of content, it would be very beneficial to have the date our objects were last updated readily available on our Profile pages.

A small date notation next to the object name, for instance, would suffice:

Curley Peak (2011-04-28)

Or even a "display date last edited upon hovering" feature.

Either way, it would facilitate keeping our objects up to date. I would love, at quick glance, to see which of my pages haven't been updated for a year or more so that I can prioritize checking them to ensure they are up to date and even make some appearance/formatting enhancements.

Thanks for listening,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Josh Lewis, lcarreau

Diego Sahagún

Re: On "My Profile" page - date object last updated

by Diego Sahagún » Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Sarah,

I like that idea but putting the dates inside the pages, not in the pages' names. I won't do that if I only update little things in my pages anyway. Well, the pages theyselves have the last updating dates below their names...

D

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue May 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Hi Sarah,

I like that idea but putting the dates inside the pages, not in the pages' names. I won't do that if I only update little things in my pages anyway. Well, the pages theyselves have the last updating dates below their names...

D

Diego,

Without building a mock-up...

I'm afraid I miscommunicated. This update would not affect the name of the page at all. No one else but me could see this "last date updated," and this information would be viewable on My Profile, only.

So when I login, I can quickly view my list of objects and see the dates each object was last updated.

...in a perfect world, I would be able to sort by "date last updated," as well...
Go climb a mountain

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Sorry Sarah,

I don't know how is that thing you propose coud be seen only in the owner profile and not affect to the page name. Some changes should be done before inicializing SPv3 then..:?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

borutbk wrote:Hi! Well there's always the Objects I Can Edit section on each profile page, which shows the days of last updates.

I just looked at my profile page and it doesn't have an "Objects I Can Edit" section (I thought it used to have one).

I spoke too quickly; it is there (needs more coffee!). And it does show the date of last edit just as borutbk says. Seems like it solves the problem.
Last edited by Buz Groshong on Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Sarah, when I refered that the date would be in the name of the page I meant next to the page name. And that's what I wouldn't do. Sorry

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed May 18, 2011 4:53 pm

borutbk wrote:Hi! Well there's always the Objects I Can Edit section on each profile page, which shows the days of last updates.

Thanks, Borut, that's a good solution for small-volume contributors. It's not a solid work-around for large-volume contributors and folks who have contributions spanning multiple years (because only the day and month - not year - are shown). It doesn't provide the quick, highly actionable view I was requesting. Thanks for the input/creative ideas! Still, it's better than nothing - thanks for reminding me of this.

...and now I understand how my clients feel when they request system enhancements...and hit the can't/won't/workaround wall. :lol: I will pay them more sympathy this week as their requests languish in TTPro. At least I can tell them "Um, it should make it into the Q3 2016 product roadmap..." :twisted:

Oh well, figured it was worth submitting the improvement suggestion.

Over and out.
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Sarah, when I refered that the date would be in the name of the page I meant next to the page name. And that's what I wouldn't do. Sorry

No worries - thanks for looking into this! (Just tell me it's in the Q2 2025 product roadmap, that will shut me up for a while...) :wink:
Go climb a mountain

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed May 18, 2011 7:22 pm

sarah.simon wrote:

Thanks, Borut, that's a good solution for small-volume contributors. It's not a solid work-around for large-volume contributors and folks who have contributions spanning multiple years (because only the day and month - not year - are shown). It doesn't provide the quick, highly actionable view I was requesting. Thanks for the input/creative ideas! Still, it's better than nothing - thanks for reminding me of this.

...and now I understand how my clients feel when they request system enhancements...and hit the can't/won't/workaround wall. :lol: I will pay them more sympathy this week as their requests languish in TTPro. At least I can tell them "Um, it should make it into the Q3 2016 product roadmap..." :twisted:

Oh well, figured it was worth submitting the improvement suggestion.

Over and out.
Sarah

Sounds like adding the year would solve the problem.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 pm

I agree that this would be a nice addition. :)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:08 am

I agree that Sarah should shut up for awhile.

:D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to Site Feedback