Lomatium Canyon Arches NP info?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Summitseeker69

Lomatium Canyon Arches NP info?

by Summitseeker69 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I am looking to do Lomatium Canyon located in the Arches NP's fiery furnace area. It is a technical canyon. I am looking for details of the route: Maps, pictures, waypoints, and a detailed route description. There used to be guided trips into the canyon but the park service doesn't allow it anymore. I have found nothing online and the NP rangers are less than helpful. Anyone have any resources?

Send me an email at
swissbank3737@yahoo.com

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Lomatium Canyon Arches NP info?

by Scott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:27 pm

I am looking for details of the route: Maps, pictures, waypoints, and a detailed route description. There used to be guided trips into the canyon but the park service doesn't allow it anymore. I have found nothing online and the NP rangers are less than helpful.

The reason why there are no online sources is because there is a real fear that if the canyon were broadbanded the NPS would close it. As far as finding maps, waypoints and a detailed route description, your chances of finding those are extremely slim. You almost have to either go with someone who has already been there or work out the route details yourself (which could take quite a while since the place is a maze).

Sorry if this is bummer news. The good news is that there are thousands of other canyons in the vicinity that are alternate destinations.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 pm

You might want to put a post on the canyoneering form of Bogley.

http://www.bogley.com/

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 pm

BTW: I did that canyon in November 2008. It was the most scenic dry canyon that I have done.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm

I have heard that NPS is considering allow guided tours into the canyon again. According to Desert Highlights, the group that gave me and my son such an awesome tour of Lomatium and other canyons: 'The management of Arches National Park is currently developing a Canyoneering Management Plan. Until that plan is completed (expected to be this fall 2011 ), no guided canyoneering trips can be offered in the Park.' Maybe next year! I hope so.

Return to Utah