Beast hikes around Munich?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mvs

Re: Beast hikes around Munich?

by mvs » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 pm

(BTW, this thread will turn into an article page)

japatta

by japatta » Sun May 15, 2011 5:24 pm

What about the Karwendelspitze from Mittenwald via the Dammkarhütte or via Mittenwalder Hütte, OK less then 2000m but still a nice climb and you can come down with the cable-car.

Though also probably not "beasty" enough I do like Daniel this time of the year.

grtz,
Brecht

gert

by gert » Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Watzmann Hocheck from Wimbachbrücke will match the altitude gain you want. If you are also up for a longer distance try Hundstod from Wimbachbrücke. I guess there are a lot more oportiunities around Berchtesgaden - a nice area but don't be to early in the season. End of may, early june could be o.k. for running althoug you may encounter some smaller snowfields higher up.
Gert

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

japatta wrote:What about the Karwendelspitze from Mittenwald via the Dammkarhütte or via Mittenwalder Hütte, OK less then 2000m but still a nice climb and you can come down with the cable-car.

My boyfriend is having knee trouble right now, so climbs with a cable-car descent are very appealing at the moment! :)

mvs

by mvs » Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Yep good point, always nice to save the knees some pounding!

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Wed May 25, 2011 6:06 am

I vote for Hamersbach - Holletal - Zugspitze. That is a pretty good gain for a day. And there will be enough snow on the glacier that you won't need crampons to get over the blue ice section. Or another personal favorite has been Hochkalter. I love that mountain.

mvs

by mvs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Well Brecht and I finally got to follow up one of these ideas. This morning in depressing weather we hiked up the Alpspitze via the Nordwand Klettersteig. Started at the parking lot and walked up ski slopes past some bulldozers until reaching the "Jagersteig" trail which was at least a trail. Couldn't resist getting a coffee and cake in the Alpspitzebahn mountain station, then back out for the last 600 meters to the summit. The route is in fine shape...you can wear tennis shoes if you don't mind some steps in low angle snow.

It was 1900 meters elevation gain and 4.5 hours to the summit. We saved our knees from 1300 meters of the descent by taking the lift down, who hoo! (but pricey...16.50!).

This is definitely a hike to whip you into shape or send you running for the couch and the remote control (or both)!

japatta

by japatta » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Hej,

It was a nice hike indeed,though a bit foggy but still, Thanks.

And as a die hard ornithologist I have of course to mention the ornithological highlights as well :-)
One Blackgrouse and 2 ptarmigans

Brecht

I will post some pics later

mvs

by mvs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Brecht I couldn't resist posting some photos...indeed it was a rather gray and unpleasant day, but you got some good shots!

Me scrambling up in the murk...

Summit "pano-rama"

A brief respite from the clouds

I'm always happy in retrospect when I made myself go out in the rain :)

mvs

by mvs » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Oh brother, I'm turning this into my own hiking thread! Tonight I went up a peak called Stuhlböcklkopf in the Rofan Mountains. In terms of elevation gain it's not that much (~1200 meters), but when you are racing to hit the top at sunset it feels like a "beast" hike. Here was my reward:

Previous

Return to Europe