Lost Creek Wilderness Snow Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
dylanavery01

Lost Creek Wilderness Snow Conditions

by dylanavery01 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 am

I am planning on backcking the Lost Creek Loop starting at the Goose Creek Trail Head from June 6 to June 10. I was wondering if anyone has been around there in the last two or so weeks and knows about how much snow there is. I am looking forward to the 60 degree weather all week, but am hoping not to run into more than 6 or so inches of snow. I am not sure of the weather conditions here because I usually go around the end of July. Thanks

Sarah Simon

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Snow Conditions

by Sarah Simon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 am

I was just up on "Peak X" and "X Prime" this past weekend. There was plenty of snow in spots, mostly above or right at tree line - you could post-hole hip-deep if you wanted to - but the deepest snow is mostly avoidable. You will probably encounter places where snow blocks the trail and causes you to detour, but nothing you and your partners won't be able to work around.

Have fun!
Go climb a mountain

MattK

by MattK » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Here is some pretty recent info for you, or a place to get some more:

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29871

However, whoever told him that there was waist deep snow up to Lake Park was either very short or really liked to exaggerate (or I guess we missed that part). On Sunday we did a day hike from Spruce Grove TH through Lake Park and then down the McCurdy Trail and the only snow that we encountered was descending from Lake Park on the north side, down to the McCurdy Trail, and it was maybe knee deep in a few spots, but a really solid trail has been packed down anyways. Have a good time!

no avatar
cdgraves

by cdgraves » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:07 am

Ute Creek trail was 100% dry last week up all the way up at the junction with McCurdy, a little over 11,000. There were small snow patches off the trail on the east side of Bison Pass, but that was it. I think most of the snow gets dumped on the much higher ranges nearby.

If you want to be totally certain of a dry, if steep, hike, go to a trailhead off Tarryall Road on the west side of the wilderness. When I visited Goose Creek two years ago it was not only a pain in the ass to find, but the first few miles of trail were surrounded by burnt, leafeless forest.

Return to Colorado