Shasta Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Also pulling for June 18. Heading to Hidden Valley to do something...Casaval, WFG, Shastina, whatever - just wanna get out there!

User Avatar
Snowslogger

 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:50 pm
Thanked: 12 times in 9 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Snowslogger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Trawinski wrote:Also pulling for June 18. Heading to Hidden Valley to do something...Casaval, WFG, Shastina, whatever - just wanna get out there!


I'm thinking of doing the same - maybe I'll see you and/or Deb up there.

User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Sounds like an SP party at Hidden Valley. Woohoo!

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Deb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:17 am

Snowslogger wrote:
Trawinski wrote:Also pulling for June 18. Heading to Hidden Valley to do something...Casaval, WFG, Shastina, whatever - just wanna get out there!


I'm thinking of doing the same - maybe I'll see you and/or Deb up there.

I'll actually be dayhiking West Face....I can NOT stand carrying my house on my back just to save 3 hours in the morning. Will most likely leave Bunny Flat at 2AM. Skiing down the West Face just to put the house on my back again would truly be a drag. 18 June is it!

User Avatar
clmbr

 
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 am
Thanked: 131 times in 91 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by clmbr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 am


The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
Deb

User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Good climbing moon next weekend too. Moonrise on June 18 - 10:51 PM, moonset next day - 9:47 AM, 92% illuminated (full on the 15th). Even fuller if your climbing the morning of the 18th (like 97%).
Link here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=224&month=6&year=2011&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Deb » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Trawinski wrote:Good climbing moon next weekend too. Moonrise on June 18 - 10:51 PM, moonset next day - 9:47 AM, 92% illuminated (full on the 15th). Even fuller if your climbing the morning of the 18th (like 97%).
Link here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=224&month=6&year=2011&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1


Dat is the plan, my friend! Skinning under a big ass early morning moon with no headlamps............aaaaaaaaaaahh :wink:

User Avatar
Rinat Shagisultanov

 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:17 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Rinat Shagisultanov » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Climbed Casaval Ridge on June 12, camped at 10000 ft (usual place). Got perfect snow early morning with some winds 15-20 mph on the ridge - otherwise good weather. Went off-route through one of windows on the ridge on the right/east side and then had to come back up. We did the cat walk with good snow. The snow in Avy Gulch was really slushy in the afternoon, but w/o significant postholing. We spent the night in the camp after the climb and got hit by the rain and the the wind which partially destroyed the walls around the tent. Descended back on June 13 with perfect weather conditions.

User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks Rinat. That'll be useful for Deb et. al. But alas, my girlfriend wants to go skydiving this weekend and my Shasta plans now have to wait a few weeks. Arrrhgggghhh! I want to see mountains!!! Not Lodi :(

At least there's plenty of snow to last, I would think...

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Deb » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 am

Trawinski wrote:Thanks Rinat. That'll be useful for Deb et. al. But alas, my girlfriend wants to go skydiving this weekend and my Shasta plans now have to wait a few weeks. Arrrhgggghhh! I want to see mountains!!! Not Lodi :(

At least there's plenty of snow to last, I would think...


Aaaw, that sux.....kinda. :/ I'll be sure to let you know what conditions you missed on the West Face. :lol:

User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah it's going to be sweet. I keep seeing the moon each night thinking it would have been fun to climb under that. Oh well, there'll be more moons.

no avatar
SMG

 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:31 am
Thanked: 8 times in 3 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by SMG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:11 pm

High winds maybe through the weekend...

User Avatar
jibmaster

 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:23 am
Thanked: 38 times in 26 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by jibmaster » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Was up there on Tue/Wed. Yup - high winds!
Very good skiing though.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewto ... =5812#5812

User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8960
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by rhyang » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 am

Any shots of the upper Whitney glacier / upper Cascade Gulch this year ?

Should be visible from the summit plateau .. here's what I'm talking about -- last April -
Image

April 2009
Image

April 2008
Image

Thanks for any beta .. (hi Deb :) )
Taaaake !

User Avatar
Trawinski

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Trawinski » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I want to do this route next year, once I get my girlfriend trained up. Doesn't look like it changes much from year to year. I think I'd rather get onto the glacier lower, like at 12,200 then climb up rather than traverse above that nasty schrund. Let me know how it goes if you do it this year Rhyang.

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests