Castle Rock-RMNP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
CSUMarmot

Castle Rock-RMNP

by CSUMarmot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 pm

I wanted to know if anyone has climbed Castle Rock on Castle Mountain, and what the class rating is to summit. ListsofJohn says 3+ but I've heard it's much harder. Also, Window Rock is supposedly 5th class but I'm not convinced. Any info on these two?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Brian C

Re: Castle Rock-RMNP

by Brian C » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:49 pm

We scrambled to the summit of Castle Rock the winter before last. We circled most of the way around and found a gully system that was filled with snow and lead to just below the summit. At the time we thought it was the summit of Castle Mountain until we got on top and realized we were not the high point. Oops! I think the snow made some parts easier and some harder but would venture the class at around 4, maybe 4+. Can't help you on Window Rock though. Have fun!

The following user would like to thank Brian C for this post
CSUMarmot

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:09 pm

I was just looking at these three points the other day over at LOJ. Gonna head up there and get a closer look later this week. I'll take pics.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 am

OK so I climbed Castle Rock today, find the sandy ridge on the north side of the rock, then follow around the base of the boulder at the top, climb up the boulder, then make a kinda exposed jump to the summit rocks. Other than the exposed jump I wouldnt classify it as more than class 2+.

I thought that Window rock was in Castle rock, so I scouted around the base of Castle rock but couldnt find it. After giving up and looking at pictures from home, the LOJ pic of Castle rock makes it look like Window Rock is just a lower extension of Castle rock, but in fact Window rock is its own separate formation to the east. Whoops. I'm heading back up there tomorrow to find it.

Side view from LOJ

My picture from Oldman reveals Window rock being just east of Castle
NoCo Chris

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:33 am

This is the sandy ridge on the north side of the rock
NoCo Chris

Return to Colorado