Your Preferred Method of Carrying your dSLR - On the Trail

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
peninsula

Re: Your Preferred Method of Carrying your dSLR - On the Tra

by peninsula » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm going to tryout the following chest harness: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... ss-v2.aspx

Although not exactly designed for the above chest harness, I use the following waist bag: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Off ... 1981,7.htm

In the past, while backpacking, I would clip the handle of the camera bag (using a surgical towel clamp) to my breast strap to help support the weight of the camera, while the Trail-2 bag waist belt provided the bulk of support and did not get in the way of the backpack waist belt, but does negate carrying a belt-attached water bottle (thank you camel back). When without a backpack, I simply use the Trail-2 by itself (day hikes, scrambling and whatnot). The Trail-2 works great with a D700. I keep a Hoodman Hood Loupe in one lens compartment, extra camera accessories, power bars, and/or an extra lens in the other, and still have plenty of room for memory cards, batteries, etc.

I've had the Trail-2 bag for three years, it is very well made with good padding. The ThinkTank V2 is a recent purchase, and should be a vast improvement over my previous improvisation of a chest harness. I plan to have the camera bag waist belt wrapped and clipped into itself to keep it out of the way when using the V2 harness. I might cut off the Trail-2 waist belt if I find using the chest harness without a pack proves the better way to go. Always looking to cut off excess weight! Got to watch myself on that count.

Pearl: Having a surgical towel clamp attached to your backpack makes for a great accessory. I'm amazed how often I use mine, in comes in handy when nothing else would get the job done.

Previous

Return to Gear