Beartooth and Sawtooth conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Beartooth and Sawtooth conditions?

by seano » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:34 pm

I'll probably be headed to the Sawtooths or southern Beartooths in about a week. Does anyone have experience with the snow conditions? What elevation does it start? How consolidated has it become? I would guess conditions are something like here in the Tetons -- consistent snow from maybe 8000', with lower snow becoming consolidated, and higher snow still difficult slush -- but has anyone been out there? Thanks in advance.

Re: Beartooth and Sawtooth conditions?

by mfox79 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 pm

I was in the Pioneers yeaterday and the snowline seemed to be around 9,500. it was pretty consolidated untill the sun started hitting it around 8:30. another few weeks and conditions should be fine. I am also planning a trip into the sawtooths in a few weeks. I am hoping that the warm weather should help the snow consolidate a bit higher up by then. if you hear anything please let me know. Hope this helps,

The following user would like to thank mfox79 for this post

no avatar

Re: Beartooth and Sawtooth conditions?

by splattski » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am

The local board was having a discussion about the Sawtooths yesterday.
Someone posted a recent picture taken from the 2nd Bench Lake @ about 7800' here: ... rom+Lake+2

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)