Cunningham creek trailhead beta (Co Rd 4, Silverton)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
mlandman

Cunningham creek trailhead beta (Co Rd 4, Silverton)

by mlandman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:19 am

5 of us will be doing a 6 day shuttle hike in the Weminuche in early August. How is the road to the Highland Mary Lakes loop trail head (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=wiminuech,+San+Juan,+Colorado&hl=en&ll=37.778754,-107.577953&spn=0.017604,0.038581&sll=37.770715,-107.573061&sspn=0.018454,0.038581&t=p&z=15)? Also, any worries leaving a car there for week?

Thanks

Michael

no avatar
MtnHermit

Re: Cunningham creek trailhead data (Co Rd 4, Silverton)

by MtnHermit » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:54 pm

IIRC I was to the TH twice last year. Up to where you cross Cunningham Ck at RTC, the road is a rough 2WD gravel road. After that and above the switchback, it's a rougher, steeper 4WD road, I put my Tundra into 4WD LR. When you get to the TH spur, you'll cross Cunningham Creek again, but this time wheels in the water. Last year in late-June 12-18" deep at the crossing, Cunningham was rocking. There's a mine pad to park multiple vehicles right at the TH if you prefer not to cross the creek with a vehicle. I'd have no problem leaving my vehicle for a week.

Enjoy the mosquitoes.

The following user would like to thank MtnHermit for this post
mlandman

jido

Re: Cunningham creek trailhead beta (Co Rd 4, Silverton)

by jido » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:14 pm

I just finished a little backpacking trip up there. You can drive up to the trailhead and cross the creek w/ a high clearance vehicle in the morning. In the afternoon the creek had risen a lot making a vehicle crossing a bad idea. The Highland Mary Trail was totally buried in snow. The CDT trail still had a lot. By August though you should be fine.

The following user would like to thank jido for this post
mlandman

displacedchzhead

by displacedchzhead » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:27 pm

I just got back from that TH on June 30th, and agree with above posts. I encountered a lot of knee deep snow hiking to Beartown, but it won't be an issue in August. Just wanted to add that when I got back to the parking lot, found out that my Honda sedan had some wiring chewed by varmints, after sitting for two nights. Ended up limping to Montrose with only one forward gear, and getting the wiring fixed at the tranny shop. But from what the mechanics said, this could have happened anywhere at high elevation in the San Juans, if you let your car sit for awhile.

The following user would like to thank displacedchzhead for this post
mlandman

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:53 pm

No problems with keeping a vehicle there for a week. If you can't make the creek crossing to the TH there are plenty of places along the road before it to park a vehicle. People do it all the time there. Wouldn't add much to your walk in.

The following user would like to thank iceisnice for this post
mlandman

mlandman

Re: Cunningham creek trailhead beta (thanks all)

by mlandman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 pm

...found out that my Honda sedan had some wiring chewed by varmints...

:o

Hope my Outback is less tasty than a Honda!

Thanks all for the feedback.

M

Chris

by Chris » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:06 am

My wife got her Honda Civic to the spot where the Hardrock 100 course crosses the road into Cunningham, to crew me during the race this past weekend. I *think* it's pretty close to the end of the road and the TH. As others said, tons of places to park.

The following user would like to thank Chris for this post
mlandman

no avatar
wuykats

by wuykats » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:42 am

Marmots will chew on wiring, the TH is only 5 or 6 miles from Silverton, I would advise that someone drop you off and pick you up, better than having a disabled vehicle when you return. Call the folks at Outdoor World, or Fetch's in Silverton, I am sure that they can set you up.

Return to Colorado