Good beginner solo climbs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
owenel

Good beginner solo climbs?

by owenel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to hire a guide to climb either sahale/sahale glacier or baker/easton glacer as my first real mountaineering climb in early august. I was thinking of extending my trip to do at least one additional solo climb. Can someone recommend some climbs which don't require a rope? I've seen ruth mentioned, but I've also seen reference to the occasional large crevasse, so wasn't sure. Also curious about silver star and blue peak. I'm looking for either a one or two-day climb.Thanks in advance.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Good beginner solo climbs?

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:48 pm

I have climbed Ruth a couple of times, and yes there are crevasses, but they are pretty easy to avoid. I camped on top with a Corgi so how hard can it be? Also, the view from the summit of Ruth are outstanding. Making a side trip to bag Icy Peak is worthwhile. Colchuck and Dragontail peaks both have big, granite, alpine north faces but also scrambling routes on the back sides. Of course Stuart via Cascadian Couloir is a straightforward route up a legendary peak.

sshankle

Re: Good beginner solo climbs?

by sshankle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:06 pm

South Butt of Adams might fit the bill.

Scott

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)