Momyer Trail - San Gorgonio Wilderness

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

Momyer Trail - San Gorgonio Wilderness

by MCGusto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:04 am

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that the Momyer Trail is currently closed as of 6/20/11 for at least the next couple of weeks for trail maintenance. I guess there was a small forest fire that caused some damage higher up on the trail and crews are doing some trail work to avoid erosion dangers.

The ranger said there is no set date for the trail to open, but expected it to be closed a minimum of "3 to 4 weeks."

I was looking at doing the 9 peaks loop up Momyer and down Vivian.... Have to wait and see on that one.

Gusto

EDIT: Found this link on the SGWA website...

http://inciweb.org/incident/2226/

The following user would like to thank MCGusto for this post
graham

graham

Re: Momyer Trail - San Gorgonio Wilderness

by graham » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks McG'
I was also thinking of doing the same sort of 9-peak loop, cuz Momyer day-permits are much easier to get than permits for Vivian Creek. Looks like I'll have to go to plan-B

RickF

by RickF » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 pm

A buddy and I did a six peak loop in June 2009. We went up Vivian Creek and came out Momyer Trail. Parts of Momyer had lots of bush growing over the trail in several areas. The lower section had lots of areas through loose rock where you really had to step carefully and look up ahead to find the trail. It's good to hear there's going to be some maintenance. It seems that Momyer sees a lot less traffic than Vivian Creek or the Dollar Lake Trail.

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:03 am

graham wrote:Thanks McG'
I was also thinking of doing the same sort of 9-peak loop, cuz Momyer day-permits are much easier to get than permits for Vivian Creek. Looks like I'll have to go to plan-B

Hey Graham,
If the trail opens up I'll shoot you a PM. I'm looking to do the loop sometime around the end of July, so we'll see what happens...

Gusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Momyer Trail is now open as of last Friday.

http://www.sgwa.org/trails.htm

Gusto

Return to California