Suspension Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
BigFDeal

Suspension Training

by BigFDeal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Does anyone include suspension training into their workout routine? I've seen the TRX advertisement, but I don't think it is really worth the $200. I like the idea of working out at home and getting a good strength and cardio simultaneously.
Is it worth the effort trying to make one or should I just stick to normal push ups, pull ups, and weights at the gym?
Has anyone made these? How expensive and time consuming was it? Could I just use a static rope and prusiks or is there more to these systems?
Does anyone own the TRX or something similar? Would you recommend buying it or making it?
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bird

Re: Suspension Training

by bird » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 pm

If you get bored easily, like to try the latest workout fad, have some money to burn, then go ahead, can't hurt.
Otherwise, lift heavy sh*t, run, hike, pullups, pushups, sit ups, squats, etc. are really best.
Good article here.
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/st ... e-Sun.html

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

No more gimmicks!

No shortcuts

Work hard, and as bird states, lift heavy shit, run, hike and do a bunch of bodyweight work. And lots of it. If you substantially increase volume progressively, your performance will mirror it.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 am

For a long time I was intrigued by the TRX, but put off by the price. I thought long and hard about making one, to the point of putting together a parts lists and seeing what I could use out of the REI.

In the end I did buy one and am so glad I did. I can't overstate how great I think this is. You can literally do hundreds of exercises on it, and get a complete strength workout.

Who should get one of these?

1 People who want to use it instead of a gym. You can save money this way. However I must warn that many exercises are very demanding, requiring not just strength but also balance and coordination. So beginners should stick to the gym.

2 People who are bored with traditional workouts. This is me. But with TRX you are always coming up with new exercises and variations. Plus, many exercises have quite a learning curve, reinforcing body skills needed in many sports.

3 Those who want an incredibe core workout. Best core workout tool ever.

4 Outdoor lovers. This thing is better outdoors, wrapped around a tree branch or trunk, than in the gym. Every workout can be in a different place

5 Travelers/campers/climbers. The whole kit weighs less than two pounds, and set up is easy, and for a long trip you can workout while you camp out.

6 Serious athletes of many sports. The total body demands of many exercises can only be completed with proper balance and form, which reinforces many sports-specific skills. Plus, the unit is so versatile you can use it to mimic or emphasize almost any movement pattern you can imagine.

it just looks like a bunch of straps. But when you put your body in the mix, the possibilities are endless. Extremely underrated!

radson

by radson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

I really like TRX as well. It's great for those of us who travel and work in tight quarters. I really like the hand stand push up, atomic push up, chest press and back pulls and the leg workouts. I am less enamoured with the bicep, tricep and shoulder workouts.

bird

by bird » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:58 pm

http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-y ... s-is-a-lie
Read this too.

I like the quote "f-ing little- girl weak" on page 3.

ksolem

by ksolem » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Most climbers will have everything but the handles already on hand. Handles can be ordered from balance body, or made up from 1" x 6" pvc and som webbing.

parts list:

2: 8' lengths of 7.5 / 8 mm purlon cord
2: Jumars or similar ascenders
4: Standard oval carabiners
2: Standard "Balanced Body" handles
2: Standard "Balanced Body" footloops
2: Regular length runners

Girth hitch the runners to an overhead beam shoulder width apart.
Use 2 of the 'biners to attach the Jumars.
Tie an overhand loop in one end of each of the cords, and thread them through the Jumars.
Clip a handle or foot loop to each cord, depending on the excercise you are setting up for. The jumars will lock off the cord at whatever length is correct.

The excercises are not a substitute for anything, rather a great add on, and can be really good for stabilizing and strengtheneng trouble spots like a wonky shoulder. Great for leaning to connect all of your movements to your center.

CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm

bird wrote:http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie
Read this too.

They obviously don't know the girls (women) I climb with. They are wicked strong, bold and climb crack hard. The guy needs to get out more.

Although I do agree with some of the things the article was saying.

bird

by bird » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 pm

CClaude wrote:
bird wrote:http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie
Read this too.

They obviously don't know the girls (women) I climb with. They are wicked strong, bold and climb crack hard. The guy needs to get out more.

Although I do agree with some of the things the article was saying.

I think he was being literal. "Little girls" are weak. My 6 year old is weak (relative to adults). I don't believe he was referring to women in general. He's got some women who train at his gym that are pretty strong...

Return to Technique and Training