Red Slate, Red and White, McGee Cr snow/ mosquitoes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
fogey

Red Slate, Red and White, McGee Cr snow/ mosquitoes?

by fogey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Heading up to Red Slate and maybe Red and White Mtn via the McGee Lakes startingTuesday (7/15) w/ wife and sons. Anyone have observations, info or advice on where we'll run into snow (and how solid it will be) or where the mosquitoes are hanging out?

no avatar
The Chief

Re: Red Slate, Red and White, McGee Cr snow/ mosquitoes?

by The Chief » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Good luck crossing the creek just below the Beaver Pond. Report two days ago was that the nice log bridge that has been in place for the last ten or so years has been washed away making he creek impassible under the current high run off conditions.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
fogey

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Chief--Thanks for the warning. Can you help me out with the location of the Beaver Pond--elevation, mileage from the trailhead or something I can spot on a topo map? I'm trying to figure out a contingency plan; crossing Hopkins and McGee Passes on a trip around the Silver Divide 12 years ago is the closest I've been to this area. These 3 days are the window we have, because the kids are in town now, but work far away.

Rick

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:26 am

Bridge is there still, just cracked down the middle. There is a fixed-line (heftier now than 2 weeks ago) that will be helpful while crossing. The creek was moving up and over the log today, but careful stepping makes it a pretty smooth crossing.

Beaver pond is about, oh, less than 1/2 mile from this crossing.

Flowers are exploding in the lower part of the canyon, and the breeze today was keeping the flies down, but they were only minimally bothersome. I put DEET on before I got started, and never had to deal with a mossie, but I've known the crossing above the Beaver Pond to be pretty swarm-worthy.

I would be more concerned with the turnoff to Steelhead Lake further up the trail.

-L 8)

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:24 pm

The photo is great--tells the story.
MooseTracks wrote:
I would be more concerned with the turnoff to Steelhead Lake further up the trail.

-L 8)

The crossing near the Steelhead turnoff is a ford? Another log crossing? Likely to be comparable in depth to the one in the picture?

Am thinking that with the potential of family drama about crossing the creek (and risk of real injury if someone falls) we might head in a different direction--maybe Pioneer Basin via Mono Pass and get acquainted with one or two of the railroad barons. Probably more snow but less chance of angst or injury . . .

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:33 pm

You only have to cross the stream at Steelhead if you're going to the lake itself (fishing/camping). It's a ford. mostly big rocks with some drops. I only mention it since its a pretty common place to camp.

Agreed that heading to Pioneer is a great backup plan! Plenty of places to explore, great fishing, and no major crossings. I can only think of one spot, at the base of the drop from Mono Pass above the 4th Recess Cutoff that you'll have to cross anything, really. Saw one of the best blooms of tiger lillies there a few years ago!

Have a great time!

-L

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
fogey

Return to California