Pine Creek - Italy Pass Trail

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
KTudhope

Italy Pass Snow Conditions

by KTudhope » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Any recent reports on snow conditions for Italy Pass via Honeymoon Lake? July 11 2011.

labgloves

Re: Italy Pass Snow Conditions

by labgloves » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:41 pm

I crossed Italy pass on July 1st as my entry point to a loop containing a bit of Ropers high route - followed by the JMT, then Piute and French Canyon trails back.

There was near continuous snow above honeymoon lake - but it is sure melting fast. River crossings were the crux of the trip.

Anyway, here is a picture of the pass taken on July 1st from a bump in Granite Park. Since we took French Canyon trail back to the car - I can only comment that there was less snow (but still a lot) on July 8th as we did not get a direct view of granite park & the pass.

no avatar
HikeSFH

Re: Italy Pass Snow Conditions

by HikeSFH » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Did you go over Piute Pass (sorry, don't have maps with me)? I'm going on a trip on July 20 and trying to gauge conditions over the pass. Specifically, I don't have crampons or an ice ax and would prefer not to use them if possible. Thanks!

dshoshone

Pine Creek - Italy Pass Trail

by dshoshone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm

These trails are going to be closed until Aug 15th. No one can enter or leave via these trailheads or they will be ticketed.
The people who run the mine at Pine Creek messed up the trail at the first water crossing, it will take some major trail work to fix.

Its' possible they may reopen sooner if the trail work in completed sooner.

no avatar
The Chief

Re: Pine Creek - Italy Pass Trail

by The Chief » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 pm

dshoshone wrote:These trails are going to be closed until Aug 15th. No one can enter or leave via these trailheads or they will be ticketed.
The people who run the mine at Pine Creek messed up the trail at the first water crossing, it will take some major trail work to fix.

Its' possible they may reopen sooner if the trail work in completed sooner.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

Just confirmed this with USFS in Bishop.

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:23 am

Wonder what the chances are it opens sooner?

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I reserved a permit for Pine Creek/Italy Pass trail this morning - going in on August 5th for the weekend. The wilderness permit office said the trail is open again; so I hope it is. Has anyone been up the trail since it reopened? If so, what were the trail conditions like?

no avatar
herb1962

by herb1962 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Trail is open. Went up on Monday of last week, over Italy Pass (tough, a lot of snow, trail hidden), did the circle through Piute and French Canyon, and back down in the rain on Sunday.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm

herb1962 wrote:Trail is open. Went up on Monday of last week, over Italy Pass (tough, a lot of snow, trail hidden), did the circle through Piute and French Canyon, and back down in the rain on Sunday.

Thanks Herb!

I was planning on going over Italy Pass, but I don't really want to deal with much snow; so I think I'll cancel my permit and find a more southerly location to spend the long weekend.

Return to California