Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Deb

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

by Deb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm

RickF wrote:
Tom Fralich wrote:P.S. Nice photo-shopped profile pic.

Thanks to Tom for calling out the Photo-shopped "Shreddin" pic. when I first saw the thumbnail I thought that something just doesn't look right. After reading Tom's reply, I opened the larger version of Epic's profile pic. Check it out for yourself. Notice there's no track behind the snowboard and he's in a pretty relaxed upright postion for being on avalanche debris in a 45 degree chute. Who's the troll calling trollz?

Yep! And his use of "gapers" is incorrect. A gaper would be WATCHING climbers climb.
Anyone remember 2ski1peak? As soon as I see a long row of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think we got him pegged. HA!

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Deb wrote:Wow, you're kind of a dick.

I agree with Deb. And you should learn to spell and write a coherent sentence before you clog up SP with a half-page rant.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:06 pm

The ad hominem responses aside, there was merit in epic's post. The authenticity (or not) of his profile photo doesn't change that.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Vitaliy M., WML

WML

by WML » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:12 pm

While the OP didn't quite seem to be able to cogently put together their thoughts, it appears as though he isn't complaining about the amount of time the actual climbing took, it sounds more like the complaints are relative to efficiency on multi-pitch routes.

I've been caught behind parties which were safely and competently able to climb at the grade, yet their rope management, anchor building, and belay transitions were nearly as atrocious as those mentioned here.

Basically, you should learn to properly manage a rope and move quickly if you are getting on multi-pitch classics, especially at a grade where generally these kinds of skills are considered a prerequisite.

Whatever happened to having your shit together before you left the ground? While everyone has just as much of a right to the rock as the next person, ruining the experience for someone else due to your own incompetence and inability to swallow your pride and realize you are not ready for the style of route (for these folks multi-pitch), is plain rude and can cause, among other things, epics, unplanned bivys, and lots of headaches. That also qualifies as, "being a dick" in my book.

The following user would like to thank WML for this post
Vitaliy M.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:25 pm

WML wrote:Whatever happened to having your shit together before you left the ground? While everyone has just as much of a right to the rock as the next person, ruining the experience for someone else due to your own incompetence and inability to swallow your pride and realize you are not ready for the style of route (for these folks multi-pitch), is plain rude and can cause, among other things, epics, unplanned bivys, and lots of headaches. That also qualifies as, "being a dick" in my book.

you hit it dead on! but peak baggers and hikers will never get it... and a few climbers with that 1st grade mentality, "i was first, nananananananana!"

The following user would like to thank x15x15 for this post
WML

rpc

by rpc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 pm

I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?

The following user would like to thank rpc for this post
96avs01, anita

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

rpc wrote:I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?

I agree with the notion that posts like this can come across like a rant (which epic specifically admitted upfront), but I do believe they have some value. More and more folks are getting their information from sites like this. Often, you have people who ask for advice before even consulting a guidebook, which is either lazy or naive or both.

Often when folks like the trollz are confronted, they'll say something like 'you're just being rude; why don't you try to educate people rather than diss them.' These type of posts are increasingly becoming that form of education. So while many of us don't need posts like this to learn proper etiquette, to the extent that even one or two people come away from them with a better understanding of the issue, I believe these posts/threads are worth having.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:56 pm

fatdad wrote:
rpc wrote:I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?

I agree with the notion that posts like this can come across like a rant (which epic specifically admitted upfront), but I do believe they have some value. More and more folks are getting their information from sites like this. Often, you have people who ask for advice before even consulting a guidebook, which is either lazy or naive or both.

Often when folks like the trollz are confronted, they'll say something like 'you're just being rude; why don't you try to educate people rather than diss them.' These type of posts are increasingly becoming that form of education. So while many of us don't need posts like this to learn proper etiquette, to the extent that even one or two people come away from them with a better understanding of the issue, I believe these posts/threads are worth having.

I agree. If it helps some people understand (if they didn't before) some things about climbing a popular route, than this thread makes a positive contribution. In general I believe talking about these things (online or not) and seeing what other people think (especially way they think) is helpful for educating us all, may help us understand why certain people think a certain way. This forum is here for us to come together and talk about things. A lot better to talk about this than to have '11000' thread, or whatever the hell it was back in the day.

RickF

by RickF » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:21 am

O.K., I got my dig in at the OP and then checked back in and now I'm coming around to the merit of this thread. Being a peakbagger or summit-slogger (or what ever more demeaning terms the rock & ice purists have for us) I do have to don the harness and rope up occasionally for those non-walk-up peaks. So, if I'm with a partner on a route that ascends a peak, and there are sections of fifth class multi-pitch, and we're aware that there's a party below us, what is the concensus for a reasonably acceptable time to transition belays between pitches?

In my opinion, If there's enough room at the belay ledge the nice gesture would be to do like golfers and let the faster moving party "play-through". (no, I don't acutally play golf). Granted, on a lot of routes their aren't a lot options to get around the higher party.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:29 am

That pic is shopped, I can tell by the pixels.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:41 am

Now, I usually try to stay out of this kind of thread, but...

The dude is bitching and whining like that was the only climbable piece of stone within 500 miles. What if these 'gumbies' had driven more than 500 miles for their first trip to Yose, and were really just enjoying a fine day out on the stone? Not everybody picks up a rope so they can go try to be like Hans!!! If you didn't buy a ticket, then NOBODY OWES YOU A GODDAMN THING!

The following user would like to thank Tom Kenney for this post
DukeJH

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:46 pm

epicclimb wrote:rant warning!

what is up with the trollz in tuolumne taking 45 minutes at belay changeovers????

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

Don't like the wait? Then go find another route and shut up.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 pm

CSUMarmot wrote:That pic is shopped, I can tell by the pixels.

And I've seen quite a few shops in my time.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
rickvena

by rickvena » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 am

Wake up earlier.

Problem solved.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

i was here first so fuck you mentality is alive and well on this board, NICE...

i bet these same hikers don't pull over when holding up cars on the road... these same peak baggers probably sit in the left lane on the freeway going the same speed as the slow pokes in the right lane... they probably even take candy from babies... they may even moderate a forum or two... who knows...

PreviousNext

Return to California