Why Half Dome ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vladislav

Re: Why Half Dome ?

by Vladislav » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:06 am

MoapaPk wrote:Most of my trips have absolutely no other people in sight, maybe for days. But I also enjoy seeing people on occasion-- I'm wired that way, I guess. Some people get their human interaction from postings on the internet; some get it from actually talking with other people in person.

Sometimes when you see a lot of people at a restaurant, it's because that restaurant is good.

Actually I really don't mind seeing people when I am hiking. Even on remote outings I quite like meeting somebody.
I enjoy many trails in Yosemite even when bumping into dozens of people all making the same comment that they want to travel as my 3-year old daughter does. It's all good!
What I really don't enjoy is waiting in line with hundreds of others making one step every 10-15 seconds or so.
Interestingly enough, when they tell me that I have to wait 20-30 minutes to be seated at a restaurant, I usually turn around and find a more suitable place. I am wired that way, I know that! :)

rlshattuck

Re: Why Half Dome ?

by rlshattuck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 am

Pssssst . . . I say, let 'em have Half Dome . . . there are all kinds of arguments and so on in favor of getting rid of the cables, and the quota system and whatever else, pro/con . . . I say to those that head out into the backcountry, just be glad that half dome is as far as the people in the clean white socks, ever get.

Imagine if they all decided that they had to go (pick something) to, say, . . . Lyell, Maclure . . . can you see the line up Lyell Canyon.

The following user would like to thank rlshattuck for this post
lcarreau

Previous

Return to California