mt Siyeh ? GNP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Dottie Little Tent

mt Siyeh ? GNP

by Dottie Little Tent » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:45 am

So my partner and I are now considering Mt Siyeh for one of our days in Glacier next week. Trying to decide on the route. It looks as if some have route finding trouble on the standard South slope. The west slope route from Cataract saddle looks interesting since one cliff band is scaled early and no more cliff bands. Any thoughts? Also might waste some energy but it appears one could traverse from Siyeh pass to Cracker Peak then continue to Siyeh. Is there a reason more folks do not do that or take the west slope as opposed to Preston Park?

EarMountain

Re: mt Siyeh ? GNP

by EarMountain » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Cliffs on Cracker usually prevent folks from coming from Siyeh Pass. Right now heavy snow at Siyeh Pass would also throw a monkey wrench into that route.

The cliffs on the standard route up from Preston Park are still in snow so if you go that way pick your route carefully. Last time I was there the route was heavily cairned and not hard to follow.

Never went from the ridge to Cataract but that is a possibility. Does involve a more difficult cliff I think and some heading out of your way.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Here are a couple pics of Siyeh from my hike over Siyeh pass on the 18th. Looks like the standard route is mostly clear. The route is to the right of the longest snowpatch. There were lots of ducks and cairns marking the route when I did last fall, but who knows what changes winter has brought.

I like the Cracker Pk route, but personally I would wait till more snow melts off. Edit- EarMountain is correct, last time I took that route I encountered 3 Australians coming down. They turned around at the cliffs.

I have no experience with the Cataract route.

Wish I had the time, I'd love to join you. Hope you have a great trip.

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 am

Good pics Chewy. Given what I see there the best option seems to be the standard route. Maybe if the warm weather comes back the snow on the Cataract ride route will go fast.

BTW: Snow fell on the mountains on Friday. Seems like most melted off already but the snow on older snow drifts may go out more slowly. It definitely is an interesting summer.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)