Prusik Pk. cond., beta request

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Diggler

Prusik Pk. cond., beta request

by Diggler » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:58 am

Greetings fellow climbers,

this will be the first time I've climbed anything in this region, I realize it's been a high snow year, & I'll be taking along my cousin, who's had limited climbing experience (i.e. no outdoor climbs), to the W ridge of Prusik. Also, not sure of how steep the approach is to the base of the climb. We're doing the Snow Lakes approach. A couple of questions.

* Is it worth taking axes & crampons?

* food storage: is it worth bringing a bear can, or is this overkill? Others' methods? Are there bears to worry about, or just rodents (also, are they aggressive or not?)

* Descent: is the rappel route pretty obvious?

* Anything else worth mentioning?

Muchas gracias!

-diggler

Brian Jenkins

Re: Prusik Pk. cond., beta request

by Brian Jenkins » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:02 am

Dirk, PM Karl Helser, he attempted it this week. He would have up to date info on the Snow Lakes approach if that is the way you go in

Diggler

by Diggler » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for the beta & suggestions, guys. Think we might take some axes just in case, but not worry about the crampons. We were able to obtain permits for Snow Lakes- that's why we're taking that approach. Thanks for the recommendation, Brian- but didn't get a chance to PM Karl. We'll see how it goes! All right, gotta get out of here to go do the climb- cheers!

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Have fun, be safe, and Best o' Luck! :D

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)