Eagle Cap conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Moni

Eagle Cap conditions

by Moni » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I am planning a several day trip into the Eagle Cap the end of July. I know there is more than usual snow, but would love to get more detailed, direct info, if possible

calebEOC

Re: Eagle Cap conditions

by calebEOC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Snow only above 8000 feet first weekend of July, should all be gone by end of the month I would think

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I hiked 22 miles up and down the West Fork Wallowa July 10th. I was told snow would be encountered six miles up the trail... but encountered virtually no snow as I climbed up to 8,200 ft. Just from inspection of the area and past warm days, It's pretty clear most all trail will be snow-free. The West Fork Wallowa is just ROARING like a mighty river in a steep little creek bed... from the fast snowmelt. From trail and tree damage, it's clear that it has been a harsh winter. Forest service needs to get out and cut away the trees that fell over the trails. Trails are a bit flooded in parts and the mosquitos are out in force in some places.

This is the "footbridge" over the West Fork Wallowa. The remains of the old bridge can be seen on the far bank. Nature has provided a new bridge - complete with handholds.

The trails are wet with snow melt, but I expect them to be quite dry by now.

This picture shows looking down the West Fork Wallowa... trail and hillside is largely snow-free.

Looking into the Glacier Lake/Frazier Lake valley at 7,200 ft, it's clear that snow has melted out over the past few days.

This is one of last winter's avalances that has completely filled a creek bed and obliterated a trail section. Snow has melted of to expose broken trees and branches.
Ten feet of snow lies underneath the debris which is delaying the snow melt.

The alpine countryside is starkly beautiful as of July 10th. Trails are open with enough snow off to the sides to give a pleasing cool feel.

This is looking up at Pete's Point (9,200 ft?) from the trail at 8,200 ft. The trail from the basin below to Sentimental Ridge is 98% snow free.

NOW is the time to go... before the place becomes too dry and hot.

BTW the way, I grew up in Spokane - University Hi. Go U-Hi!
Last edited by billisfree on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Moni

by Moni » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks - I was most concerned about snow levels. Looks like by the time I go, things should be in good shape.

mrh

by mrh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 am

U Hi? Man we used to kick their butts.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 am

Bump for the Eagle Cap. Climbed it on 4th of July 1976 with my brother. Snowed on us that afternoon.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 am

Does anyone have any current condition reports on the Wallowas? Specifically, I am looking at the East Lostine route to Eagle Cap. Also, are there bridges along this route or are crossings going to be tough with all the heavy runoff?

calebEOC wrote:Snow only above 8000 feet first weekend of July, should all be gone by end of the month I would think

This should mean the snow is clear at least to Mirror Lake, am I correct?

Any help is much appreciated!

Moni

by Moni » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 pm

My guidebook claims bridges across the East Lostine approach as well as to Mirror Lake, although one of them is described as a single log. With the high water, etc. it's possible that may be out. I am taking a 7mm line and some gear along to belay or rig a handline in case a creek crossing looks treacherous.

Note: now that I have been there, even a handline won't help, the streams are flowing too fast and too deep for anything like that to be of much use.
Last edited by Moni on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moni

by Moni » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm

I went on my trip - 4 days - and got back last night.

Went up the East Fork of the Wallowa camped at Rogers Lake. No skeeters. Had frost the following morning!
The next day we hiked over Tenderfoot and Polaris Passes. Still a lot of snow. Some problems getting over Polaris - had to detour low around the main basin where the trail crossed very steep snow fields. The final headwall of the cornice to the pass was about 30 feet, but currently has excellent steps put in.

The trail down from Polaris is partially snow covered in all the drainages. The mother of all avalanches has really caused havoc lower down: lots of snow and LARGE tree debris in the drainages all the way to the valley, which slowed us down. We initially wanted to go into Glacier Lake, but that basin is still totally snow covered, so we continued down the West Fork to just shy of Six Mile and camped. Mosquitoes moderate. Talked to a guy who had day hiked into Glacier Lake and he said that after Frazier, the trail was completely in snow and in "terrible" shape, so we were glad of our decision.
The following day we day hiked up into the Lakes Basin as far as Douglas Lake. No snow, no skeeters. However, I am not sure Mirror Lake won't have snow. Where one should "ford" the West Fork, it's about 6 feet deep and roaring - luckily a good log jam is present for crossing. The footbridge across the creek is gone but several logjams offer passage across. That creek is deep and flowing fast.

Hiked out the fourth day. Fine weather and fun trip. The snow is going fast, but depending on slope aspect, etc. it will continue to be an issue for a while.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60431021@N04/sets/72157627162811723/

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Glad you had fun, Moni, and thanks for sharing the photos and info. Looks like the snow will be gone by the time I am there. Hopefully, the skeeters will have come and gone by then!

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)