Whetstone Mountain routes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
JustinShapiro

Whetstone Mountain routes?

by JustinShapiro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:24 am

Being someone that continually visits Crested Butte, I've always been fascinated by the Whetstone massif and I'm pretty interested in climbing to the Whetstone Mountain summit. I can't find any information on routes to its summit so I'm wondering if any of you guys know of any information on routes leading up to Whetstone, any info at all would be considered helpful, Thanks!

no avatar
a_skier

Re: Whetstone Mountain routes?

by a_skier » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 am

Well, in a year or two there will be a trail going up Baxter Gulch about a mile S of town that will work nicely for Whetstone from the saddle between Whetstone and Axtell, but for now the best way is from Ohio Pass via the same Baxter gulch trail, just from the opposite side. The same saddle could also be reached via the Green lake trail to the Don Cook trail (aka para mi, para ti). Something from Carbon Creek would probably work, too.

Of course, the access from the top of Trapper's is best of all, just not exactly legal...

The following user would like to thank a_skier for this post
JustinShapiro

Return to Colorado