10 Days til Week in Zion.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Kenrick

10 Days til Week in Zion.

by Kenrick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Any other thoughts or Suggestions. Planning Multiple days hikes, mostly river canyon hikes.

1) Zion Narrows
2) Orderville Canyon
3) Subway (top-bottom)
4) WATER CANYON/CANAAN MOUNTAIN (Kinda questioning this one and might swap this out for a different hike that won't be so hot)
5) Kanarra Creek

jackstraw0083

Re: 10 Days til Week in Zion.

by jackstraw0083 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:01 am

I'd recommend having a backup plan in case you're not able to get a permit for the Subway. Its really popular and people get to the permit office around 3-4am sometimes to wait in line for a permit. Personally I think there are slot canyons in the area that are a lot more fun than the Subway. One of my favorites (although shorter) is Pine Creek. Good luck

tonyo

by tonyo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 am

Set aside a few hours one evening to hike Angels landing. Kind of an anti-canyon and well worth the modest time investment.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am

Kenrick wrote:Any other thoughts or Suggestions. Planning Multiple days hikes, mostly river canyon hikes.

[...]
4) WATER CANYON/CANAAN MOUNTAIN (Kinda questioning this one and might swap this out for a different hike that won't be so hot)
[...]
Water Canyon is deeply shaded. Canaan Mountain is interesting, even if you don't do all the water canyon stuff.

When are you going?

Kenrick

by Kenrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 am

We have some first timers that will be with us that will probably hike angel's landing... i'll probably go back up hidden canyon a ways while they do that.

I'll look into Pine Creek. Most of the slot canyons are pretty technical... and only a few in the group have done any rockclimbing.

As far as the Permits go, if it looks like we need to get in that early to get them, then that's what we'll do. Were staying in the campground so it shouldn't be a problem.

I wasn't sure about water canyon only cuz i haven't really heard too much on it except that it's pretty hot getting into. So do you think it would be alright to go ahead and do it then?

Return to Utah