Meal Plan for the Firepit at a NP Campground

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Kenrick

Meal Plan for the Firepit at a NP Campground

by Kenrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 am

We'll have a group of 8 or 9 staying at the watchman campground in Zion for a Week. Trying to figure out some minimal clean up meals that would be easy to throw together to convince my dad into.

Any Suggestions?

Arthur Digbee

Re: Meal Plan for the Firepit at a NP Campground

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 pm

This is frontcountry, with water and a sink for cleanup? Cooking over fire or stove?

A single skillet thing is always easy. Like this:

That's onions and peppers in butter, add sausage.

A variation is hobos -- essentially meat and veggies in foil, throw in the fire. Hamburger-onion soup mix is the classic meat, but sausage and chicken also work.

I have a bunch of Asian recipes for 12-15 people, easiest on a stove -- one pot for rice, one for the food. Let me know.

Finally, here's a hearty stew that tastes great in the backcountyr. It's vegan, but no one has to know.

From Marie Simmons, Fresh and Fast Vegetarian.
16 oz artichoke hearts or16 fresh baby artichokes, 1/2 c olive oil, 1 t chopped fresh oregano, 1 c coarsely chopped onion, 1 28 oz can Italian tomatoes with juice or 2.5 c coarsely chopped peeled fresh plum tomatoes w/juice, 1.5 lb potatoes unpeeled cubed, 1/2 c pitted Kalamata olives, 2 garlic cloves grated or diced, 8 oz feta (delete if Vegan), 2 T chopped fresh mint, 2 T chopped fresh dill.

Rinse artichokes in cold water, drain. Heat oil in large skilled, add artichokes, cook on low heat until golden, about 5 min.
Turn, sprinkle with oregano, pinch of salt, generous grinding of black pepper.
Add onion, cook stirring gently until golden, about 5 min.

Add tomatoes, potatoes, olives, garlic and 1/2 c water, stir, bring to boil. Cook covered on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender and start to fall apart, 20-25 minutes. Add 1/4 c water as needed if it seems dry.

Season to taste.Spoon into bowls, top with feta, mint, and dill.

She says it serves six, but we get about 10 servings out of it. (Vegans must pig out on things.)
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
stromboli

michellen

by michellen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm

You might want to check with the Park Service about current fire prohibitions. I spent a night at Watchman in late June and fires were prohibited in the campground at the time.

Kenrick

by Kenrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah, i probably should have thought about that one more. Last year I was there in may and were allowed. As was the year before in early june when I was there... i'll look into it, thanks!

Return to General