Bear Activity in the SNP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
adventurer

Bear Activity in the SNP

by adventurer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm

As I was doing one of my longer hikes in Shenandoah Natl Park last Friday, I had an interesting bear sighting I thought worth sharing with those of you who hike in the northern section of the park.

My hike was an 18 miler which started at the bottom of Keyser Run Fire Road. I hiked 4 miles up the FR to Skyline Drive, crossed the Drive at MP 19 and headed south on the AT, crossing the Drive again at Elkwallow near MP 24 and continued on the AT to near MP 28 on the Drive, crossed yet again and picked up the Hull School Trail for several miles back to the Keyser Run FR near Bolen Cemetery. From there, it was just a mile back down to my Jeep. The hike took me about 8.5 hours.

On the AT about 1.5 miles south of Elkwallow, as I rounded a blind corner on the trail, I heard a low pitched growl to my left. When I glanced over, I noticed an adult black bear in the woods about 30 feet away, standing on all fours and looking straight at me. Immediately behind the bear, I saw two cubs scurrying up a pair of small trees. All three of the bears were behind a blowdown of small trees. I was hiking away from their position so I thought the best thing to do was to keep moving and avoid stopping or making any sudden movements. The adult bear made no aggressive moves and I just went on my merry way.

After the encounter, as I was thinking through it again, here's what I surmised must have happened to cause such a close meeting. It was very hot that afternoon, around 100F. There was virtually no air movement at ground level which must have made it difficult for the bear to pick up my scent as I approached. Secondly, I was solo so I wasn't making much noise. Also, in the very brief look I got at the adult I thought that she looked like she just woke up from a nap. I think that she had probably found a relatively cool spot for her and the cubs to avoid the mid-day heat and dozed off. Her first indication that something was amiss was probably her cubs getting excited when they noticed me. I think her little growl was a reflex action more than anything else.

The cubs looked cute but I'm glad I didn't stick around to admire them. I've seen a lot of black bear in the SNP over the years but that's as close as I've ever gotten to one with cubs.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Arthur Digbee

Re: Bear Activity in the SNP

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Glad all ended well. Your diagnosis seems right to me.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Closest I ever got to one with cubs was right on Skyline Drive. Traffic was stoped in both directions. Momma was eating grass along the ditchline and the two cubs were nosing around not too far away. Momma seemed mostly oblivious to all the people and didn't seem at all worried for her cubs. I got out and took a few pictures. Momma eventually got tired of the show and she and the cubs went off into the woods.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:35 am

Sounds about right to me.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Wow, what an encounter, you made the right moves to be sure!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)