plastic kicks- how old's too old?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Ben Beckerich

plastic kicks- how old's too old?

by Ben Beckerich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 am

howdy

looking to do some winter summits this year.. have a lead on a really good deal on a pair of pre-owned unused koflach arctis expes, but they're 15 years old. guy says they've been in his closet since buying them new, all those years ago.

my guess is they'd be fine.. no UV exposure, no freeze/thaw.. ? i've also heard tale of plastic ski boots shattering after sitting in the closet for years- so i'm slightly paranoid about it.

thoughts? how old is too old for plastic?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

no avatar
mconnell

Re: plastic kicks- how old's too old?

by mconnell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

My Koflach Verticals are 12-13 years old. I don't use them much, but I haven't had any problems other than needing to replace the liners. I've never heard of plastics shattering. I know people that have been using the same ski boots for well over 20 years (not people that ski much!)

bird

by bird » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Had a pair of ski boots shatter on me a few years back. But they were only 3 years old, tecnicas...heard I wasn't the first to have the happen. Had to ski the entire back of Snowbird on one ski, carrying my other one...sucked, then, but funny story now.
Anyway, those boots sound like a steal.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I've seen shells crack and cuffs literally rot and tear on Koflachs. 5 years is questionable and 10 years is likely too much. UV expose is not the only issue. The softer cuff material in particular simply degrades over time. The shells get hard and crack. No every pair reacts the same so I would think it is a batch problem.

I really like Koflachs but one bad experience and a boot failure while in use can make them really expensive.

Save your money and buy something newer that will last a trip or two.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm

hmm... mixed opinions.. lame.

i dont have any new koflachs to compare, but perhaps i can twisty/bendy the plastic around and get a feel for whether it's about to explode on me at 14,000 feet in a whiteout.

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

It might depend on how much the seller wants for them, propably not much if they sat around unused for all those years..

I have a pair of 1996 Koflach Arctis and for the last few years, I use them here and there in winter. They are fine, no visible cracks or deterioration of the plastic cuff. I would say if you get a really good deal and don't plan to go to Alaska or another cold place next season, you cannot lose.

Save your money for those $700 boots when you are ready for an expedition. In the meantime...

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 am

well.. i offered him a semi-lowball price off his already pretty low price... if he accepts, it'll definitely be worth the experiment.

thanks for the input, gentlemen. if anyone else has any, feel free to post- still interested in the lifespan of plastics..

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm

My 1996 Koflach Via Softs have been used at least 10-15 days/year and are still going strong.

I am constantly looking for an excuse to buy a fancy new pair, but so far, no luck.

At 54, I am afraid they will last me the rest of my days.

Buckaroo

by Buckaroo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 am

Don't expect the rubber to be close to the original stickiness for climbing rock. Rubber soles loose a lot of their sticky after about 2 to 3 years of drying out.

Kai

by Kai » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 am

Koflach made their boots out of different materials.

The Viva Softs tended to crack in cold, the arctis expes, being their higher-end boots, were likely made of better material (grilamid)

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:02 pm

he would not come down to my price... considering i'm finding NEW koflachs in the same condition on ebay for LESS, i opted against. i might try some old plastic, someday, but it's gonna be for less than $100/pair if i do- and not in the winter.

Tracy

by Tracy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 am

I bought a pair of plastic Koflachs in about 1989 and they proved to be a sturdy pair of winter mountaineering boots clear up to early spring of 1999 when I used them with a pair of randonee' skis to the top of Mt. St. Helens. They performed very well on that trip as both a ski boot and a hiking boot.

Seven years later I used them on a snowmobiling trip to Island Park, Idaho and they literally shattered before my eyes shortly after putting them on at the sled rental shop.

My first thought was I'm sure glad I'm in a rental shop where I can rent a pair of snowmobile boots. My second thought was I'm sure glad they didn't fall apart on me on Mt. St. Helens.

Hopefully, the quality of plastic that Koflach uses now is better than it was 20 to 25 years ago.

Kai

by Kai » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:41 am

My Viva Softs shattered while I was climbing at Mt. Washington, NH.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the Koflach Viasofts. I will keep a close eye on mine. They were dirt cheap on clearance at Sierra Trading Post, something like $70, so I have long since got my use out of them.

I also have a pair of Koflach Actis Espes that have never been out of the box. Might be time to start using them. Had been saving them for when the Via Softs kicked the bucket.

Buckaroo

by Buckaroo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:34 am

The best way to store anything plastic that you want to last long term is sealed in a black plastic bag. To keep it from drying out and to avoid UV exposure. The two things that degrade plastic.

Rock shoe rubber also falls in this category. If you want to retain the original stickiness, store your shoes sealed in a plastic bag. I do this with my ropes also, technically nylon is plastic.

Return to Gear