Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
User Avatar
JasonH

 
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:24 am
Thanked: 427 times in 295 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by JasonH » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:45 pm

I agree with your post with one exception.

sarah.simon wrote:1. http://www.summitpost.org/hoosier-hill/687855
This trip report could just be boiled down to a summit log. If the author wants to keep this as a TR, I've provided suggestions. Perhaps it's "custom object" time.


Why do Trip Reports need to meet you standards to be a Trip Report? Not everybody is a writer and not every adventure needs a huge report.
I have a demon in me - Stu

User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8435
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Thanked: 2689 times in 1492 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Bob Sihler » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks, Sarah.

1: We'll see if and how the person responds to your comment. I agree with Jason that not every TR needs to be an epic recount, but I also agree with you that the one in question falls far short of being necessary or acceptable and that it's really no more than a log entry. Just a few pictures would help.

2. Yesterday, I sent the author a message, and he has responded. The page is now a custom object with the low votes removed.

3. Deleted.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

User Avatar
Castlereagh

 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:46 pm
Thanked: 117 times in 71 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Castlereagh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:03 am


User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Thanked: 716 times in 551 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Marmaduke » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 am

Castlereagh wrote:ahem. too easy


http://www.summitpost.org/mount-whitney/688411


I'm pretty sure this was just a mistake by a newbie, she wanted to "sign" the summit register?

User Avatar
Adeel

 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:47 pm
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts

Bad/Empty/Incomplete Page

by Adeel » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 am

Meaningless Trip Report at http://www.summitpost.org/saltoro/688405

The following user would like to thank Adeel for this post
Bob Sihler

User Avatar
Adeel

 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:47 pm
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts

Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Adeel » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:07 am


User Avatar
EricChu

 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:28 pm
Thanked: 25 times in 13 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by EricChu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
kamil wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:When a user has been inactive for years and all his 10+ pages are empty, it is simply easier to delete the account than go by page by page. I'm sorry for any mess it caused on other pages, but I'm not going to take the time to sift through someone's pictures to see which ones might be displayed on other pages.


That's one point I disagree with. I understand the load of work you have as an elf, but this way the thin line of 'justified damage' can be pushed to our will.


Recently, I found some broken links and missing pictures on a page of mine, apparently because the person's profile had been deleted at some point. I went in, made some quick fixes, and all was fine. So I really don't see why this is much of an issue. Then again, I almost always use the SP-provided formatting instead of making elaborate charts, so such changes are easy to do for me.

However, I'm not looking to needlessly make hassles for people, especially folks like you who have been very supportive and have helped me quite a bit so far. Therefore, going forward, I won't delete an inactive account that has pictures unless I can easily tell that the pictures are only attached to the bad pages in need of deletion. However, I will reserve the right to this exception: if the person has some ridiculous amount of empty pages and deleting them one by one is going to take a long time, the account is going to go. And I'll have to use my best judgment on what a "ridiculous amount" is.

Fair enough?
I can see Bob's point...already from the start, I have decided to only then create mountain or area pages if I'm really sure that I've got enough photo material of my own to make the page "live" even if there aren't any attachments from other members...and I can see by what I'm reading here on this blog that it's for a good reason...!

User Avatar
Simon Whimsy

 
Posts: 3355
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Thanked: 1045 times in 644 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Simon Whimsy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 am


User Avatar
nader

 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:50 pm
Thanked: 8 times in 7 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by nader » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:32 pm


User Avatar
SoCalHiker

 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:12 pm
Thanked: 147 times in 88 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by SoCalHiker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

nader wrote:Empty Grand Canyon Page:

http://www.summitpost.org/grand-canyon/698321


Thanks. I asked her to delete it since a Grand Canyon page already exists or to write a trip report if she wishes. If she does not respond we will zap it in the next few days.

User Avatar
MarkDidier

 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:24 am
Thanked: 67 times in 48 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by MarkDidier » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 pm


The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
Bob Sihler

User Avatar
Simon Whimsy

 
Posts: 3355
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Thanked: 1045 times in 644 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Simon Whimsy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/summits/522214
This page seems not not have much info, in fact there is already info on the limited info in the page.

User Avatar
Simon Whimsy

 
Posts: 3355
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Thanked: 1045 times in 644 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Simon Whimsy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 am



User Avatar
visentin

 
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm
Thanked: 88 times in 58 posts

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by visentin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/hurrungane/702138

New user... I wonder if sometimes the title of this site doen't mistake newcomers... summitpost sounds like a summitlog, or something like that... people sometimes post new peaks or areas as they visit them, like logging some book...

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests