Bozeman Quick List

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
GlacierCountry

Bozeman Quick List

by GlacierCountry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I will be in Bozeman this upcoming weekend. I'm looking for a peak to summit with maybe some challenging scrambling and elevation gain, class III-IV max. I would rather not hit the popular ones with trails all the way to the top, so I'm looking for some ideas. Would also like to spend a day doing some technical climbing, 5.7-5.9 range, sport and top rope only. I grew up in Bozeman but unfortunately wasn't involved in any outdoor activities until I was older, so I don't know where to go. Any suggestions?
Mountains and Music

b.

Re: Bozeman Quick List

by b. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 am

A couple of weeks ago we hiked up to Frazier Lake, and I scrambled north and gained the ridge to a peak north of Hardscrabble. Had a great time, saw goats, no people. Actually I was surprised at how few people were on that side with all of the traffic on the Fairy Lake road. You could tag several peaks along that ridge.

Several peaks at the head of South Cottonwood meet the criteria.

The following user would like to thank b. for this post
GlacierCountry

peakhugger

Re: Bozeman Quick List

by peakhugger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:57 am

The climb up Beehive (west ridge route is Class 4) is usually quiet, although the trail down low gets crowded on weekends.

The following user would like to thank peakhugger for this post
GlacierCountry

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)