Glacier for a Weekend

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Alex Wood

Glacier for a Weekend

by Alex Wood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 am

So my brother works at Glacier National Park and he has a few days off and I am going to visit him for the weekend. My main goal is to climb some peaks with him (he isn't exactly a climber so low 3rd class terrain would be best). I have three full days to hike. What are some recommendations for peaks to hit with a limited amount of time? Thanks in advance!

peakhugger

Re: Glacier for a Weekend

by peakhugger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Sounds like you need this book.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:36 pm

peakhugger wrote:Sounds like you need this book.

I will probably buy that book once I get there. Do they sell it inside the park? However, I would like to have a little bit of a plan before flying up there. I was thinking about doing Mt. Gould. I would also really like to see the Grinnell Glacier. So thats what I am thinking of right now.

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 pm

The book is available inside the park.

The weather is changing dramatically this weekend. There may be snow above 8,000ft and temps will be dipping. Rock conditions could be very slick/icy. Gould might not be the best choice. I would stick with peaks in the lower elevations this weekend to be safe, especially if your partner is not much of a climber. Most of the peaks out of Logan pass have high elevations. The two medicine valley peaks might be a better choice. Grinell glacier trail should be okay, although there are a couple small sections that could be treacherous if there is light snow or ice.

If the weather improves then you can probably tackle anything your partners' endurance can handle.
Mountains and Music

pyerger

by pyerger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Rising Wolf, was always a favorate of mine! It has a comanding presence ,Short approach from the car, south face climb,3rd class, and the two medicine area seems a little drier than the north end of the park.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:55 am

thanks for the responses! Thats crazy that they are getting snow already! My brother works at the main visitor center place. So I am assuming its around Lake McDonald??

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 pm

It's not so crazy that some snow has fallen on the high peaks of Glacier. Happens every year almost. Last year we had snow on August 13. Snow can fall during any month of the year up here.

Main Visitor Center Place? There is a visitor center in Apgar and at St. Mary. Better find out which side of the park he is on.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback! My brother worked in West Glacier ( I probably should have figured that out sooner). The first day we hiked Mt Oberlin and Hidden Lake (Hidden Lake big "whoop" i know haha), the second day we hiked to Grinnel Glacier and then went up to Angel Wing, and then the last day we hiked up to Avalanche Lake. I wish I couldn't have spent more time. I picked up the Climb Glacier National Park book and love it. Can't wait to come back again and do some real summits.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)