When you buy new gear.....

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Re: When you buy new gear.....

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 pm

mrchad9 wrote:It seems you consider your purchases in a similar manner.

Not one bit cus the stuff you utilize wouldn't last one outting fo me. Fact. I'd tear it to shreds.

That is the main ingredient I look for when purchasing any gear. You'll certainly understand when you start to actually climb one day and maybe get into Big Walls, putting up routes, doing Rebolt Projects etc where tough materials are needed to endure the constant hauling required on many of those outtings. Not once month weekend over nighter hike throughs where one can get by with just 10lbs of "ULTR-LIGHT" paper thin hiking/peak bagging goodies.

Even Ray Jardine speaks of that exact same thing in his books, website and throughout his "ultra-light" design history.

Again, it is critical that one gets the right gear for the challenges that they plan on doing the most.

BTW, Stop "seeming". Life will be that much better for ya kid.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Ever since reading Beyond Backpacking in 2002, I have been buying as lightweight as possible. I also make as much of my own gear as possible. A 4 man tarp is an easy project and you can make it for around 1/3 the cost of buying one. That said I only make the occasional class 4 move so as to keep my homemade shorts clean. :wink:

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:01 pm

i DONT buy "new" gear.

problem solved. ;-)
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

The following user would like to thank Ben Beckerich for this post
Pallando

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:38 pm

I really like gear that is simplistic and makes sense. A tent you can set up in a minute or two blind folded, or a backpack that just makes sense and doesn't have endless compartments and options. If its to complex or complicated, it usually weighs more and has more things that can go wrong.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

The following user would like to thank Hotoven for this post
Luc

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Color-- as bright as possible for everything but the tent. It's magenta, not pink!

I try to buy stuff made in the USA; that tack is successful about 1% of the time.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Luc

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I try to buy stuff made in the USA

As difficult as it may be, I try to do the same.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 pm

The Chief wrote:

Making your own stuff whenever possible helps that cause, unless of course you're not an American.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 pm

goldenhopper wrote:
The Chief wrote:

Making your own stuff whenever possible helps that cause, unless of course you're not an American.

Actually, I include that in the total. My windbreaker and windpants, four of our packs, a pair of my gaiters, and various other items were homemade. Now that my right hand is partly paralyzed, I do much less sewing.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 am

MoapaPk wrote:My windbreaker and windpants, four of our packs ...

Did you use bought patterns or make your own? How did they turn out? I started out hiking with home=made packs in the '80s and find it hard to get some gear to fit me.

There is some good US-made gear around. Between Feathered Friends, Stephenson Warmlite and Cilogear (or CCW) you could fit yourself out with very good sleeping bag, mat, pack, tent and some clothing, if you so desired.

Me? I buy the heaviest Arc'Teryx garments I can find, and send a copy of the invoice to Dow, along with shots of me top-roping a 5.2! :D

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 am

Damien Gildea wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:My windbreaker and windpants, four of our packs ...

Did you use bought patterns or make your own? How did they turn out? I started out hiking with home=made packs in the '80s and find it hard to get some gear to fit me.

There is some good US-made gear around. Between Feathered Friends, Stephenson Warmlite and Cilogear (or CCW) you could fit yourself out with very good sleeping bag, mat, pack, tent and some clothing, if you so desired.

Me? I buy the heaviest Arc'Teryx garments I can find, and send a copy of the invoice to Dow, along with shots of me top-roping a 5.2! :D

Ha ha!

All patterns we made. One very light pack, designed for summit trips while backpacking, lasted 20 years (admittedly occasional use); finally bit when it got a little too cold for the urethane. I replaced it with the lightest REI Flash; can't coordinate the hand well enough to sew that well anymore, and I'm no longer a grad student. ;) I made 3 packs for external frames, a fanny pack for my wife (to her specs), and a pack I still use for for very occasional very rough stuff (like crawl caves)... I guess that is 6 not 4. Simple, but light and very utilitarian. The windbreaker is made to fit my build. The pants (4 pairs now that I think about it) are also very simple, but weigh 4-5 oz, and fit well. The gaiters I used for XC skiing for 20 years. We made a down sleeping bag years ago-- 2 lbs total. But it's become so cheap to buy stuff... No way could I compete for stuff like self-supporting tents. I did sew some simple tents, and we made two bivy-sack-like things for use in snow caves and Adirondack lean-tos in bug season (try to imagine!) -- I still use those as well.

I still use one "special" item that my wife made years ago-- never found a decent replacement. That's a pair of "fishnet" mohair underwear that go to just below the knee; very light and warm under nylon windpants, yet highly breathable for backcountry skiing.

Ah, good times.

benwood

by benwood » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 am

I really like supporting the "cottage" industry guys. I like to be able to call the company, or sometimes the one guy and ask some questions. I find these little shops are easy to work with, sometimes are down for custom work, and will usually point you in the right direction for your needs. Its hard to beat good customer care. Plus there are many ethical implications that I like to pat myself on the back for :wink: such as eliminating middle men, eliminating huge shipping costs, fair labor, etc. All that money goes to the people who lovingly made your gear.

I come from the ultralight backpacking world so naturally weight is a big concern of mine, but i try not to become obsessed with the gear lists. Its far better to be outside with a few extra pounds than inside with that fancy-pants gear list.

Price isn't a concern to me. Value is. If I want something and it will work well, I'll wait till I have the money. Buying bargains just because they are bargains never seems to work out for me.

just my $0.02 and probably not worth that
"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work" - Peter Gibbons

The following user would like to thank benwood for this post
Luc

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:34 am

MoapaPk wrote: But it's become so cheap to buy stuff...

Yeh, I remember the same happening here. The sticker price on many items now is same or less than it was 15-20 years ago, and in most cases the product is better.

I still use one "special" item that my wife made years ago-- never found a decent replacement. That's a pair of "fishnet" mohair underwear that go to just below the knee; very light and warm under nylon windpants, yet highly breathable for backcountry skiing.

Fishnet? Thought you'd posted on the wrong forum there for a minute! But yes, that is the theory behind Brynje baselayers. They are basically the best baselayer you can get for wicking without getting too hot, but they are so unfashionable - outside of an S&M dungeon at least - that they are not popular outside of Norway etc. Most shoppers look like a trussed salami in them :shock:

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:43 am

the latest technology in packs down here in Peru/Boliva seem to be a piece of cloth. some colorful as in the above picture and some are plain white like the below picture. it can carry a baby, bundle of wood and/or climbing gear up to 25kg. it is definitely made from a mud hut and not China. it can be purchased for around 5 USD. i'm not sure of the frame, suspension system or the hipbelt design but they seem to work for a "longass" time down here, to quote the Chief.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
mrchad9

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just prooves my point. Right gear to meet the challenge.

Now question is, trieu, did you utilize the same packs as the folks above did, to do the rock and alpine climbs that you paid them folks to carry all YOUR CLIMBING GEAR, for?

Doesn't look like it.... Just another REI store bought heavy ass Chinese manu'd one here for you.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 pm

DANGER ALERT! This is slowly becoming a Nationalistic thread. :wink:

Moapa, I knew you were a hippy stitching you're own cloths! :D

Damien Gildea wrote:Me? I buy the heaviest Arc'Teryx garments I can find, and send a copy of the invoice to Dow, along with shots of me top-roping a 5.2! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some stuff I'd like Dow to fund!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear