When you buy new gear.....

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Luc

Re: When you buy new gear.....

by Luc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm

benwood wrote:I really like supporting the "cottage" industry guys. I like to be able to call the company, or sometimes the one guy and ask some questions. I find these little shops are easy to work with, sometimes are down for custom work, and will usually point you in the right direction for your needs. Its hard to beat good customer care. Plus there are many ethical implications that I like to pat myself on the back for :wink: such as eliminating middle men, eliminating huge shipping costs, fair labor, etc. All that money goes to the people who lovingly made your gear.

Same here, had a few back and forth emails with a guy at Immersion Research, he was sad to send work to Asia but he was pushed in a corner by the lack of qualified seasonal labour. He pointed out that he was one of the last companies in his field to head into foreign production.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:Fishnet? Thought you'd posted on the wrong forum there for a minute! But yes, that is the theory behind Brynje baselayers. They are basically the best baselayer you can get for wicking without getting too hot, but they are so unfashionable - outside of an S&M dungeon at least - that they are not popular outside of Norway etc. Most shoppers look like a trussed salami in them :shock:

I can't remember the actual name, but at one time, longjohns that were made thick netting string woven in a diagonal pattern, 1/2" rhombs, were quite popular (especially under the dominant light wool winter pants of the day). It was claimed that they were worn by Norwegian fishermen. These net longjohns were sold at EMS, about 1970-1980.

I used to wear light felted wool, right next to the skin; it wasn't itchy. Originally I got Navy Blues.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
I still use one "special" item that my wife made years ago-- never found a decent replacement. That's a pair of "fishnet" mohair underwear that go to just below the knee; very light and warm under nylon windpants, yet highly breathable for backcountry skiing.

Ah, good times.

I want a pair! Maybe she can start her own cottage industry!! :D

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:17 pm

goldenhopper wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damien Gildea wrote:Me? I buy the heaviest Arc'Teryx garments I can find, and send a copy of the invoice to Dow, along with shots of me top-roping a 5.2! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some stuff I'd like Dow to fund!

Damien would only send me the receipt, not for funding, but because he knows I rail against idiots who pay dead bird's prices thinking somehow it is going to turn them into a climber of some sort or a better one if they think they already are. Walked past a $700! jacket in the climbing section in Banff the other day...are you guys nuts? The more you keep supporting their idea that more is better, the more they will keep testing you and taking your money.

"5.2 top rope climber", reminds me of the time I was on Deltaform, trying to do the traverse of the Ten Peaks. I brought a friend/client from Texas so one of my regular partners brought his buddy from Calgary. Guy is actually a member of SP. We had planned on biving to make the traverse, it would be a requirement.... but this guy was so slow, way slower than my Texas guy which was outfitted like myself, both of us looking homeless in comparison. As night fell, I kept leading the way, pushing them as hard as I could to descend to a decent bivy spot way short of where we expected to be, but at least off the summit ridge of the mountain.

As dark set in, the well dressed dead bird fan sits down next to me. I simply said, "you sure do move slow but at least you do it in style with those fancy clothes. You know, you can spend all the money you want on that shit (dead bird) and it won't save you when shit hits the fan on a summit ridge like this. Better to move fast and get off the damn thing. Speed equals safety out here first and foremost." Dude had $1000 worth on just in pants and jacket. Dead bird pack, fancy ass bag as I recall (Feathered Friends or whatever crazy expensive shit you guys buy). I think I slept in a 40F Marmot $100 bag with my clothes and down on, felt fucking fantastic. Prob had on a $100 OR paclite jacket or something.

Some guys buying habits do amuse me. And it is a guy thing. Most female climbers I see out there seem to be much more practical and sensible about what is necessary and what is not. I do always crack a smile when I pass you (and know who you are) and notice your grimace as you pack that weight into the bugs or some similar backcountry location, in far less shape than myself despite your youth, but double the weight along with your huge boots so your delicate feet don't get cold, etc. Keep spending away on the "latest and best", I actually benefit the more you do. I secretly kind of root for companies like dead bird anymore.

Carry on.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
highNdry, Luc

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:32 pm

We all know Dow, you have spoken your mind about these things before, I really think now you are just beating a dead bird... :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

personally, I like deadbird, I don't use any of their gear, but I buy their clothing 50% off or more on Steep and Cheap and sell it almost at retail price off ebay, works for me very nicely.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Ho, I totally condone capitalism and taking advantage of vain folks....kudos to you for making use of the opportunity...

Brilliant mathematicians some folks are.......every other outdoor clothes manufacturer offers their clothes at 50% off as well on Backcountry.com (Steep and Cheep)....Rab has some great shit on there right now.....so you are still an idiot if you pay $250 for something on sale that weighs more and serves you less, outside your favorite coffee shop and mall that is, in the backcountry then something on sale for $100.

"duh, I bought a dead bird, but I bought on sale...." Nobody else has sales? that is some folks lame argument for buying a boutique brand? seriously? Why don't you come clean and admit you buy it to look cool to your family and friends who have no idea what real climbing is all about. Because you know what those of us who spend a lot of time in the field think when we see you coming outfitted head to toe like that.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
highNdry, Hotoven, Luc

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Dow Williams wrote:Ho, I totally condone capitalism and taking advantage of vain folks....kudos to you for making use of the opportunity...

Brilliant mathematicians some folks are.......every other outdoor clothes manufacturer offers their clothes at 50% off as well on Backcountry.com (Steep and Cheep)....Rab has some great shit on there right now.....so you are still an idiot if you pay $250 for something on sale that weighs more and serves you less, outside your favorite coffee shop and mall that is, in the backcountry then something on sale for $100.

"duh, I bought a dead bird, but I bought on sale...." Nobody else has sales? that is some folks lame argument for buying a boutique brand? seriously? Why don't you come clean and admit you buy it to look cool to your family and friends who have no idea what real climbing is all about. Because you know what those of us who spend a lot of time in the field think when we see you coming outfitted head to toe like that.

a little harsher than i would have put it, but... exactly.

i once got into a debate with a guy who claimed to have spent some amount of time on everest.. not sure/dont remember if he claimed to have summitted, but he at least claimed to have spent a lot of time at basecamp.. his contention was that the "real" climbers didn't wear TNF.. that "real" climbers all wore millet and arcteryx to the summit.. only the douchebag groupies at basecamp wore TNF. firstly, this is bullshit- there's no brand of clothing thats spent more time on the summit than TNF.. secondly, and the part he didn't seem to understand at all- climbers don't climb everest. doctors and lawyers and stock brokers climb everest.

climbers wear what's cheap and works, not a brand.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

The following user would like to thank Ben Beckerich for this post
Hotoven

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree, usually the people who buy that expensive stuff are posers (for the most part, not all)

As you can see in my profile pic, I'm wearing a cotton hoodie, Dickies pants (which are insanity comfortable by the way, also not bad in the snow since they are 70% polyester) and basketball shoes. My brother in the background, is wearing my sisters cotton hoodie, and k-mart working boots and his school backpack filled with food and water. We did the Mount Whitney trail from the portal to the summit and back in 12 hours and had just as much fun as those outfitted in their ultra lightweight gear. The only difference, we had more money-golds in our pockets afterwords! :D
- The Dude, Lebowski

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Hotoven wrote:I agree, usually the people who buy that expensive stuff are posers (for the most part, not all)

As you can see in my profile pic, I'm wearing a cotton hoodie, Dickies pants (which are insanity comfortable by the way, also not bad in the snow since they are 70% polyester) and basketball shoes. My brother in the background, is wearing my sisters cotton hoodie, and k-mart working boots and his school backpack filled with food and water. We did the Mount Whitney trail from the portal to the summit and back in 12 hours and had just as much fun as those outfitted in their ultra lightweight gear. The only difference, we had more money-golds in our pockets afterwords! :D

this is my friend Toby, whom i met in the crater of Mt. Hood on monday, wearing spandex shorts and hiking boots, and using two pieces of boundary poles as trekking poles..

this guy followed me up with a borrowed harness, borrowed helmet, and borrowed ice tool (one of my grivels), some spandex for a base layer, cotton trousers, and hiking boots.

summitting doesn't have to cost a lot.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 pm

nice bkb0000, this is true, it does not cost much to summit. It looks like hes having loads of fun too.

A part of mountaineering and climbing is being resourceful, this means using what you have to make things work, seems like that idea is slowly fading in some circles with all this over priced rubbish.
- The Dude, Lebowski

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Summiting doesn't have to cost hardly nothing at all ..

Think I paid one buck for my bright orange beenie cap I wore atop Rainier's summit.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Luc

by Luc » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:25 am

Dow Williams wrote:Because you know what those of us who spend a lot of time in the field think when we see you coming outfitted head to toe like that.

Competitor for the Darwin Award?

an award that very few openly talk about...

Mountain Goat

by Mountain Goat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:35 am

Quality matters, of course, but I do a lot of solo hiking, backpacking, and climbing, so weight really is an important issue.

I tend to look at brands that I've had good experiences with and then go for their lighter offerings. I'm still alive.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:30 am

mrchad9 wrote:I look at how many ounces it weighs.

Weight is relative to altitude. Mass is where it's at. :wink:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 am

kylenicolls wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I look at how many ounces it weighs.

Weight is relative to altitude. Mass is where it's at. :wink:

What if the MASS is in the ASS? Sorry I couldn't resist.
:oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Gear