Asolo Broad Peak for Mt Washinton NH winter climb?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
ncgardenfreaks

Asolo Broad Peak for Mt Washinton NH winter climb?

by ncgardenfreaks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Been reading around here a while and finially found something that theres not alot of info on. Im looking to go up Mt Washinton in NH this winter, probibly do Tuckerman Ravine Trail just up and down. Would the Broad Peaks be appropriate for the climb or would they be to light? I have seen that REI does a winter climb there and furnishes plastic double boots probibly Scarpas or Kolflach, but it seems like it would be overkill to me unless you are stopped alot standing around. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

nartreb

Re: Asolo Broad Peak for Mt Washinton NH winter climb?

by nartreb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:33 pm

>probibly do Tuckerman Ravine Trail just up and down.

hmm... in winter this isn't really a trail, you're ascending a snowy/icy ravine headwall with likely avalanche risk. Good info here on SP: http://www.summitpost.org/tuckerman-ravine/155768

A generally safer route from the east is the Lion Head Winter Route. Still plenty of opportunity to get lost above treeline, but at least the avvy danger is basically nil.

The boots you mention look like a good general mountain boot, but they don't seem to have any insulation at all. Double plastics are overkill, but at least wear double socks.

Other than avvy, your biggest concern on the Rockpile is the wind. Watch the forecast and pick your climb day wisely. Easy to say you won't be "stopped a lot standing around", but a 100mph wind will keep you pinned down pretty effectively.

bird

by bird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 pm

They are on the light side, you could probably get away with them if you pick a "warmish" day and keep moving. If you have any difficulties, your feet are going to suffer. If this is your intro to winter mountaineering, probably worth it to rent a pair of doubles.

no avatar
mambwe

by mambwe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 pm

A couple buddies and myself did the Franconia Ridge in January with forecasted gusts of up to 50 mph and -25 degrees. I was wearing my Asolo power matic 200gv and my friends were wearing Asolo TPS 520 backpacking boots. My feet really only got cold a couple times when we stopped. I was wearing heavy socks and a liner sock underneath. We also did a few others hikes with no issues.

I'm going to Rainier in August so I just bought a pair of La Spotiva Nepals.

Kai

by Kai » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 am

Depends on conditions.

I've been on Mt. Washington in winter in temps ranging from 35 below zero to 35 above zero.

no avatar
ncgardenfreaks

by ncgardenfreaks » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks everybody. Seems the general thoughts are they would work but are probibly not the ideal boot. I am going to do the Lions head now and if conditions are favorable and the avvy danger is low may try Tuckermans if possibly. It will be my first winter ascent so I may try to hook up with somebody who has been up before or maybe even shell out the $460 for REI. Thanks again.
Rick

Kristin5berry

by Kristin5berry » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:29 am

I have climbed up there many times in all seasonsand durring complete white out storms in Feb, the weather and temps up there are not to be taken lightly, ALWAYS OVER PREPARE. As far as the route goes, up Tuckermans is super fun in the winter (go with a friend or 2- not solo,) no-one goes down that way unless they have a board/skis. You will want to go down Lions head, the cairns are high (easy to follow even in a storm,) and you can glassade in some spots. Also, you will need an ice axe to use as your 3rd point of contact up the ravine and to assist with the way down (steep in some spots.) You will also want better boots, I have the La Sportiva Nepal mountaineering boots and if Im on the summit too long durring a stormy winter climb then my toes will get cold. You can rent plastic mountaineering boots, crampons (yes you need these as well,) and an ice axe at IME in North Conway or at most REI stores.
GOOD LUCK! maybe ill see ya up there:)

Return to Gear