Boy Scout road to access Mt Warren (near Lee Vining)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ScottHanson

Boy Scout road to access Mt Warren (near Lee Vining)

by ScottHanson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Has anyone driven the Boy Scout Road to approach Mt Warren near Lee Vining recently? I took my low clearance Chevy Cobalt up this road in August to attempt a Mt Warren Climb. Wrong choice of vehicles by me! Lots of erosion here with ruts 10 to 12 inches deep and exposed bedrock 8 or 10 inches high for vehicles to climb over. I finally parked the car and walked the last stretch to reach the Boy Scout Camp to start climb. This steep road could use a road grading and some strategically placed water bars to lessen erosion. I will have to take my four wheel drive pickup on this road next time. Can't complain too much since I am trespassing on a private road to start this hike/climb. Maybe we could give Boy Scout leaders a merit badge to improve their PRIVATE road.

BHunewill

Re: Boy Scout road to access Mt Warren (near Lee Vining)

by BHunewill » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 pm

I did Mt. Warren and Gilcrest Peak from the Boy Scout camp last summer, but my parents went up that road a few weeks ago. We had a cloudburst type rain in early August that caused a lot of erosion to dirt roads. My parents took a pickup up that road, but had friends that followed them in a Subaru wagon and did alright. I can't remember if they took the road past the avalanche canons or up the creek side.

Return to California