Chimborazo/Cotopaxi Logistics

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
mtvalley

Chimborazo/Cotopaxi Logistics

by mtvalley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 am

Has anybody hired an Ecuadorian company for stuff like transportation and lodging, but not a bells and whistles guided climb?

If so, how cheap/expensive was it, and what company would you recommend.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Chimborazo/Cotopaxi Logistics

by Scott » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:30 pm

The company Moggely used to do that, but I can't find their website anymore.

Does anyone know if they changed their name or are still around?

schleger

by schleger » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Google - Andean Turtle. I believe this is Moggely's website. I am in the planning process of my first trip to Ecaudor. If anyone has any information on Gulliver's/Papagayo, secifically their (5) day (3)peak program - Pasochoa, Illiniza Norte, Cotopaxi that would be appreciated. Can one count on these outfitters providing the equipment they list as "included".

mtvalley

by mtvalley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Someone on Lonely Planet mentioned Andean Turtle/Moggely was out of business, not sure if its true.

jesamuels1

by jesamuels1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm a mountain guide that works for a company based in Northern California. We have a trip headed to Ecuador at the beginning of January. We have a couple clients already and are looking for a couple more. We have been around for about 30 years and climbed all over, very reputable. If things don't work out and you are interested in a guide service let me know.

Have Fun

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 am

I see. Moggely is now Andean Turtle:

http://andeanturtle.com/

In 2007 at least, they would provide transportation and lodging to climbers even if you didn't go with a guide.

atavist

by atavist » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I climbed in Ecuador in 2003. I was able to take public bus or collectivo near enough to the main trailhead. Accomodation is dirt cheap everywhere.

efunk

by efunk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:28 am

Does anyone have any beta as far as technical aspects of the main route up Cotopaxi? My friends and I are planning a trip for early January and I was hoping to gather some info about the route and about recommendations as far as guides go. I would prefer not to spend a bunch of money for a service that will provide me with a bunch of gear I already have but want to make sure that we are safe on the mountain as well. Any info would be much appreciated!

bird

by bird » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 pm

We used http://hotelsierranevada.com/
They handled lodging and transport only. We did not use a guide. They were great and did what we needed. One note, they, like everyone else, operates on Ecuador time. If you want them there at 2 pm, tell them noon. ;-)
Don't remember rates, but it was comparable to others. Maybe $100 each way to Cotopaxi?

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 pm

My wife and I will be climbing in Ecuador from Thanksgiving to Christmas. We are using Freddy Ramirez at Sierra Nevada. We are only using a guide on Chimborazo and just transportation/lodging with Freddy for the rest of the time. He's comes highly recommended and he was able to work with our itinerary without a problem. Only a few weeks now, can't wait!!

Return to South America