Finding parent objects with accents in names

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
visentin

Finding parent objects with accents in names

by visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 am

Just wondered why we cannot find Hochkönig when we want for example to attach an album or a route that refers to it. We can type Hochkonig without the ö, same. I suspect hundreds of pages to be orphanes on SP just for this reason. As far as I know there is only the french é & è that do not cause this bug. Is there any way to fix it ?

visentin

Re: Finding parent objects with accents in names

by visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Indeed what you stated exactly isn't working, excepted if the guy entered a name without accents in the query field, which people rarely mind to do

no avatar
guhj

by guhj » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:57 pm

In swedish, ö is a separate letter. It is not an o with something added to it. I'm not sure if that's the case in german, but I would expect to find Hochkönig if I type exactly that into the search box. Typing Hochkonig shouldn't find it, though I can see the convenience in that for people who don't have ö on their keyboards.

It is strange that both Hochkönig and Hochkonig yields 0 results. I have to search for Hochk* to find Hochkönig.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 pm

I didn't know about the trick with a star. Who did ? Anyway, and despite ö isn't o in Swedish (in Polish ł and l aren't the same too), making the search work with non diacritic letters would be cool. There could be a function that encodes a string with its non-accented equivalent, which could be used everywhere in the code each time there is a search.
However, I'm tempted to say it "should" work even without that, I mean enabling people to find Hochkönig spelled as it is.

peterbud

by peterbud » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 pm

visentin wrote:Indeed what you stated exactly isn't working, excepted if the guy entered a name without accents in the query field, which people rarely mind to do

I do :-) and encourage everyone who enters spec chars in page titles to do so. A little extra effort but keeps things working.

visentin

by visentin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:35 am

Query name, Peter, not Name. Of course accents must be in the name as much as keyboard allows. But for search purposes the non accented name is a plus (as long as there is the search bug on accented names)

peterbud

by peterbud » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:23 pm

That is exactly what I meant (adding the "pure" accentless versions in the query name, besides the accented versions).

visentin wrote:Query name, Peter, not Name. Of course accents must be in the name as much as keyboard allows. But for search purposes the non accented name is a plus (as long as there is the search bug on accented names)

Return to Site Feedback