Upload Trouble.

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mtybumpo

Re: Upload Trouble.

by mtybumpo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:45 pm

I think it might have been a Firefox problem. I tried uploading a few times with Google Chrome and I haven't had any problems.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Too bad this problem doesn't seem to be affecting the people who like to dump lots of pointless photos on the site at a time.

I use the bulk uploader for pictures most of the time, if I ever post pointless pictures, please let me know! 8) :wink:

As for firefox, seems to work fine for me. If I notice slowness I may swap to google chrome. :)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
Too bad this problem doesn't seem to be affecting the people who like to dump lots of pointless photos on the site at a time.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 am

Hi,

Two things that help me immensely when loading photos:

1. Browsing with Chrome (you've already figured that out).
2. Shrinking my photo file size by simply using the Export feature in Picasa.

My photos load in single-digit seconds.

I hope this is helpful!

Sarah
Go climb a mountain

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:52 am

Sarah Simon wrote:2. Shrinking my photo file size by simply using the Export feature in Picasa.

I tested this yesterday and found that even with the "Maximum" option for resolution, picture quality noticeably suffers, even before clicking on the image to view it in full size. Have you experienced the same or found a way around that?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 am

Ah, good to see I'm not the only one who resizes my pictures using picasa. 8) I do it on some pictures, another solution is for me not to take pictures in high resolution. I know that's "bad" according to photo experts, but it saves space when I upload to the web and because I take thousands of pictures all the time, it saves my hard drive too! :)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 am

Bob Sihler wrote:I tested this yesterday and found that even with the "Maximum" option for resolution, picture quality noticeably suffers, even before clicking on the image to view it in full size.

What size are you resizing them to? According to my photography teacher, photos always loose quality when you resize it which is a sad reality. Have you tried resizing the photo with any other program?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Sarah Simon wrote:2. Shrinking my photo file size by simply using the Export feature in Picasa.

I tested this yesterday and found that even with the "Maximum" option for resolution, picture quality noticeably suffers, even before clicking on the image to view it in full size. Have you experienced the same or found a way around that?

Image size: 800 pixels
Image quality: Automatic (per Picasa: "Preserves original image quality," though I do not know how this could be).

At any rate, I personally do not notice serious decline in the quality of my re-sized images, at least not for website purposes.

I hope this is helpful!
Go climb a mountain

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Decent free or shareware software (Irfan View, etc.) lets you choose the quality of the resized image; this option is usually on a tab under the batch resize mode (or whatever). This may be too much thought for the iPad generation, but many of us old fogies still do this stuff!

From the little I've read, Picasa lets you control image quality when you resize images:
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/an ... swer=13821

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 am

When all else fails, mind control often works ..

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Josh Lewis

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 am

Sarah Simon wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:

Image size: 800 pixels
Image quality: Automatic (per Picasa: "Preserves original image quality," though I do not know how this could be).

At any rate, I personally do not notice serious decline in the quality of my re-sized images, at least not for website purposes.

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks. I tried that option the other day as well, but I noticed an instant decline in quality, and that was before enlarging. Maybe I'm just too picky.

What I did like was the option for automatically adding a watermark to an entire batch.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:12 pm

OK, here is what the free app IrfanView does on reducing size.
Here's the initial 8MP (2448 x 3264) file, from a simple P&S camera (PowerShot SD1100 IS, ca 2007):

http://hwstock.org/qual/NGA_original.jpg

Now here are images resized to 900x1200, at various qualities:
http://hwstock.org/qual/NGA_91.jpg (91% jpeg quality, 395 kB)
http://hwstock.org/qual/NGA_80.jpg (80% jpeg quality, 256 kB)
http://hwstock.org/qual/NGA_65.jpg (65% jpeg quality, 184 kB)
http://hwstock.org/qual/NGA_50.jpg (50% jpeg quality, 148 kB)

You really have to zoom in to see the differences-- e.g., look at these cracks, at 91%

and 50%

Save these two tiny fragments, and zoom in with an editor to see the differences.
EDIT: actually I just artificially increased the number of pixels in the zoomed images, so the differences will be more obvious, without requiring people to reload anything. This won't show until my and Sp's servers propagates the changes.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:16 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Image

and 50%

I don't even have to zoom in to notice the difference. Information wise it's similar, but photo quality it is significant. I'm sure Bob was not loosing that much quality in his resizes. :wink:

Previous

Return to Site Feedback