NF Assault 2 / bd first light - any users out there?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
philso

NF Assault 2 / bd first light - any users out there?

by philso » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:51 pm

for the last 10 years or so i've been doing the bivy bag + siltarp(summer) or betamid/megamid scene, but it seems i always get dumped on by the weather. especially after my last three trips with mixed sleet, snow, rain in spring and rain + bugs the rest of the summer for about 19 days out of about 3 weeks, i find myself longing for the comfort of a double-wall tent. my old nf mountain 24(?) is still servicible, but a real pig to carry. my other tents have been run into the ground long ago.
i picked up a nemo obi1 for 3-season use, and on my last trip it worked well enough at slightly less weight than my bivy+tarp. now i'm looking for a new winter/mountaineering tent. i don't need to rehash the singlewall/ doublewall pro's & con's debate, or need info on biblers or integral designs, etc. and i know i can shave 2 or maybe even 3 pounds off my old nf mountain with some of the new double-walls. however, the stats on the nf assault 2 look pretty impressive on paper: low weight, "drywall" "technology", includes detachable vestibule, & at a relatively reasonable price. i used to have a single-wall tent about 20 - 25 years ago which was usually wetter inside than out. i don't expect miracles, but i was wondering if the assault 2 might actually have "dry walls", relatively speaking. the problem is that i've only been able to find about 3 user reviews. 1 said they hadn't had any major condensation issues, another said it was weather tight, and another said the listed weight was correct. encouraging, but not enough to base a decision on.
 if anyone has had any exprience with it, i'd be real happy if they could weigh in the pro' & con's.

and on another but related topic, i've seen reviews re: the bd first light which seem polarized between saying it's drum tight or you might as well sleep in the rain. is this an old version/new version issue?

and while we're at it, any rab summit "shelter" users out there?

any and all input will be welcome. thanks in advance, phil

Damien Gildea

Re: NF Assault 2 / bd first light - any users out there?

by Damien Gildea » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:31 am

No idea on the Assault but it seems good - but small.

I've used a Firstlight quite a bit - early model, beige not green. It's too small for me really - I'm 6' 7" but it works solo. It's fine in light rain, moderate winds, light snow. High winds would really deform it a bit but it might not break. Lack of guy points mid-wall is a minus in my view, so it's not as tight as it could be. I've also had considerable condensation buildup in it, in cold/dry conditions (low camp on Vinson) but with the thin fabric it melts/disappears faster than with a Bibler. Hard to beat for weight though. If you're in Japan - not sure how it would handle a big load of snow?

I've heard OK things about the Rab from someone who used one on a big mountain route, but you've probably noticed that the smaller one is particularly LOW inside.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
philso

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:22 pm

FWIW, I've used the earlier issue of the BD First Light, and it works marvellously well - for what it was intended to be used for: drier conditions at high altitude. That having been said, its kept us dry through days and days of rain and sleet as well.

I did seam seal the heck out of the thing and have used it a very few times in very wet conditions much lower down with no complaints then either, so I would expect its more modern brethren to do the same, but I would not rely on it as my primary tent for areas that are consistently wet and at lower altitude: that line of tents just weren't designed for that. My two cents.

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
philso

philso

by philso » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:08 pm

thanks for the input guys. i guess the assault just came out this year, so there aren't very many users yet. i'm planning on getting a new winter tent while i'm back in the states next january, hopefully at a post-christmas discount. if i can't find decent info on the assault, i may go for an eldo or mk1lite. i definitely need something that can handle a snow load and wind.

both of you have been using the firstlight for a while so i'm guessing that you use canister stoves. i've always used msr white gas stoves; one reason for wanting a tent with a fair-sized vestibule for cooking. i may need to rethink my cooking stategy.

thanks again for the response.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:45 pm

The FirstLight/LightHouse vestibule is surprisingly roomie, for cooking and storage; with in in place, we actually slept 3 in that tent. it was...intimate (but warm!) but certainly perfectly capable of providing the needed area for cooking (white gas stove, in this case)

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
philso

philso

by philso » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am

bumping this up once as i' m heading to the states in a couple of weeks and am still looking for input before shopping. if you or a buddy have any experience, especially regarding condensation and durability issues, your comments will be much appreciated.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:22 pm

My partner has a FirstLight. He has summer-camped in it, but it's less than ideal.

On the same trip I was in my MSR Hubba Hubba, which was great. It's a touch under 4lb with all the cord and stakes I usually bring, has two big vestibules, and much more room than the FirstLIght.

alpinedan

by alpinedan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm

The following user would like to thank alpinedan for this post
philso

Return to Gear