Souther California Mountaineering Courses?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Stockwell

Souther California Mountaineering Courses?

by Stockwell » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 am

Hey all,

For the past 7 months I have been preparing to begin my adventures as a mountaineer. I have been hiking throughout all of San Diego county and will be finishing off this season with a trip up to San Jacinto Peak via Marion Mountain Trail. Should be glorious :D

Feeling that I am fit enough to attempt some larger climbs this winter I have come across a problem. I have no experience in Snow Travel/Crampon/Ice Axe/Snow Shoe use... :x

A guided service I'm sure is my best bet to learn the basics, although I am not really sure if some good books and just going for it with some common sense in my pack if I'll do just fine. Either way I have yet to come across a guided service offering climbs during Winter/Spring for the mountains in Southern California. Specifically Mount San Gorgonio and possibly Mount San Antonio (Baldy).

These would be great for me I'm sure as this upcoming April I will be applying in the Whitney Lottery. :P

If any exist I am dying to learn about them as my attempts have failed.

Happy Fall,

Stockwell

no avatar
bawsd

Re: Souther California Mountaineering Courses?

by bawsd » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Last year SMI did a class at Baldy in February. You can check with them to see if they're doing it again: http://sierramountaineering.com/

California Alpine Guides has some options in Sequoia: http://www.californiaalpineguides.com/alpine.html

Lots of guided options if you can get up to Bishop or elsewhere on the Eastside.

I think last year one of the LA mountaineering groups put a class together, but I don't have any info (and could be mis-remembering)--sorry.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 pm

A group of folks on the San Gabriel Mountain message board put together a winter mountaineering skills practice in the Baldy bowl in late January this year. Unfortunately, snow conditions were soft and slushy so it proved quite difficult to gain enough sped for an arrest. Lots of folks showeed up with their new gear they got for Christmas.

I don't know if anyone is planning to do this again but you can monitor http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/index.php.

Kurt and his crew at SMI are first rate and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Kurt usually does some guiding on Baldy when he does the A16 Mt. Whitney clinics. You might be able to book him then. Right around the middle of Feb.

no avatar
Stockwell

by Stockwell » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

@Taco - Well I for one, am definitely a beginner who would love to participate in such an event.

And to everyone else thanks for the responses. If anyone else has any more information that would be great. I have begun checking out Meetup groups, but it seems it is to early for Meetups to have scheduled events for December. I guess I'm just a little excited to crunch some snow. :shock:

no avatar
Stockwell

by Stockwell » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Taco, another clinic like this would be fantastic. It seems like last year you started to gather support right about now. This would be one hell of an experience for me and a ton of fun I'm sure. Keep in touch, I would love to hear whether or not you'll be doing this again.

Thanks a lot,
Stockwell

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 pm

@Taco - I'd be willing to help out and "trade some skills".

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Share and share alike. As long as it's not commercial.

Return to California