Best Trans-Sierra Routes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Hyadventure

Best Trans-Sierra Routes?

by Hyadventure » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I’m planning a Trans-Sierra hike in 2012 year. I’d like to get your opinions on the best route? I’m planning a two to three night trek and would be interested bagging a few peaks along the way. What’s the best route? Where should I camp? What peaks can I bag (scrambles preferred)? When should I go? And what other suggestions might you have?

Thanx for your help,
BJ

goldenhopper

Re: Best Trans-Sierra Routes?

by goldenhopper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 pm

High Sierra trail is the most popular. You could include Black Kaweah and Whitney and make it in three days if you're in insane shape.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 pm

You could start at Road's End to JMT, head south, bag Junction peak from Forrester Pass, head out to the Owen's Valley via Shepherd's Pass and tag Mt. Tyndall on the way out. That could be done in a tiring three days. Or you could head into Center Basin (N. of Forrester), and bag Center Peak and University Peak and descend to Onion Valley from University Pass. You could probably bag one of the Videttes while you're in the area, though they may be class 4 (don't quote me on that).

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 am

goldenhopper wrote:High Sierra trail is the most popular. You could include Black Kaweah and Whitney and make it in three days if you're in insane shape.

How long is the High Sierra Trail? Black Kaweah is interesting, but I've been up Whitney too many times. On the other hand I've never been up Whitney from the west?? I'm usually in good shape, but I don't want to make this too much of a grind. I'm thinking four days, three Nights, under 10 miles a day, with one to two peaks a day.

fatdad wrote:You could start at Road's End to JMT, head south, bag Junction peak from Forrester Pass, head out to the Owen's Valley via Shepherd's Pass and tag Mt. Tyndall on the way out. That could be done in a tiring three days. Or you could head into Center Basin (N. of Forrester), and bag Center Peak and University Peak and descend to Onion Valley from University Pass. You could probably bag one of the Videttes while you're in the area, though they may be class 4 (don't quote me on that).

I've tagged all the 14'ers, so their not a priority. And I've climbed a little Sierra 4th so that's not off limits. You've got some great Ideas here..

Thanx guys!

astrogerly

by astrogerly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 am

The High Sierra Trail is about 71 miles and is a lot of fun. Did it about a month ago.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:04 am

Videttes are class 2 and 3 and fatdad's suggestion is a good one. Road's end to Onion Valley via University Pass in easily doable in 3 days and you could bag the peaks he listed, and consider Mount Bradley and Mount Keith as well... but all of those wouldn't be doable in 3 days... or would they???

Center Basin is very nice...

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 am

BJ: Do the credit card route. Onion Valley to Road's End. Cross in one day, stay at the lodge. Limited stuff to carry. Hit Bago/Rixford/Gould on the way back...

thegib

by thegib » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 am

MooseT is right. For 2 nights: Over Kearsarge, bag Gould from the pass, descend to Vidette Mdws. Climb Deerhorn and stay at upper Vidette Ck. Out next day to Road's End.

Or go in from Squito Flat over Mono pass (bag Mt Starr from pass) into Pioneer Basin. Climb 1-4 of the robber baron peaks and sit tight. Day three you could descend all the way to Tom Edison lake and take the water taxi across.

Or, go to Granite basin from the Tungsten Mill. Day 2 cross Italy pass (bag Julius Caesar) descend to Italy lake. Day 3 Climb Hilgard and Gabb and cross Gabbot pass, camp high at Mills lake or low in the Recesses. Day 4 same as above.

There's probably 100 excellent variations.

DG

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 pm

With only 2-3 nights consider entering over Echo Col ,climbing Goddard ,Darwin ,and Mendel and out Larmarck Col to North Lake. The Muir Hut and Evolution Basin are unique.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm

With only 2-3 nights consider entering over Echo Col ,climbing Goddard ,Darwin ,and Mendel and out Larmarck Col to North Lake. The Cols ,the Muir Hut and Evolution Basin are unique.

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 pm

astrogerly wrote:The High Sierra Trail is about 71 miles and is a lot of fun. Did it about a month ago.

That's more then I want to bite off in 4 days..

MooseTracks wrote:BJ: Do the credit card route. Onion Valley to Road's End. Cross in one day, stay at the lodge. Limited stuff to carry. Hit Bago/Rixford/Gould on the way back...

The lodge is 6 miles from Roads End; I know, I had to hike it late one night (after putting in 28 that day). Even if I get a ride, the mileage would limit the peak bagging. But It's an interesting idea for another day.

Return to California