Members leaving left and right ..

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Alpinist

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

by Alpinist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:Folks leave, folks return................
Everyone has their reasons I suppose, why debate the issue?

Respectfully, fred

Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.

A big Republican church bathroom man-on-man orgy.

At least they'd be screwing each other and not us.

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Bob Sihler, lcarreau, Marmaduke, rasgoat

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

Respectfully, fred

Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.

Marmaduke, what is your stance on this? Is it narrow or wide? Quit sitting there tapping your foot and tell us.

My stance is very narrow, and all the orgies I've been involved in have never had men invloved.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

Respectfully, fred

Marmaduke, what is your stance on this? Is it narrow or wide? Quit sitting there tapping your foot and tell us.

My stance is very narrow, and all the orgies I've been involved in have never had men invloved.

Boys aren't any better.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

On a serious note, I'm on SP a lot less for a few reasons:

1. Serious forum posts asking for beta or technique suggestions seem to devolve into a lot of trash talking, name calling, or off-topic information. I don't have thin skin about this, but it makes the forums less useful for me and I feel less inclined to contribute to threads. Instead I go to other websites where the forum posters are more open & supportive, or more knowledgeable about technical questions.

2. The site has been very slow to adopt some very useful features that are used on other sites for finding partners or organizing one's climbing history & aspirations. See MountainProject and Cascade Climbers to see what I mean. SP has much more thorough coverage of peaks, routes, etc. and could do similar things much better. I don't understand why the site doesn't leverage this strength.

3. I don't know if it is a change in the site membership or just my perspective as this matters to me more, but it seems as though there are fewer users that do technical climbing or they are less active these days. I still find SP great for info on hikes and scrambles, but when I start thinking about trad, aid & ice, I've been going to other sites for info, advice, & partners.

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
lcarreau, Luc

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Hmmm .... :D

When I got up (late) this morning and turned on my computer, I was definitely surprised to see this thread at the TOP of the heap.

And the (former?) member who likened me to residing in a "padded hospital cell" made me THINK for a moment.

Doesn't the majority (of us) who (somehow) get addicted to COMPUTER FORUMS (me included) find ourselves often LOST in a self-imposed prison of our own making, unable to escape ??? ?? ?

YEP, just what I thought .... this is a Free Choice issue, and we should be able to LAUGH and PLAY the game as we choose. However we choose ..

THANKS to all of you who participated in this forum.

Gotta go outside NOW to fertilize the daises and trim the petunias .. and feed the donkeys ...AND ... see ya ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

fossana

by fossana » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

I have to agree with Mark here. Firstly, the route search feature on Mt Project is extremely useful.

Secondly, I find a decreasing amount of information on SP of use (versus MP). Not that it's perfect, but the point system on Mt Project is based on contributions not votes so there's more of an incentive to contribute content.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 pm

fossana wrote:I have to agree with Mark here. The route search feature on Mt Project is extremely useful. I find a decreasing amount of information on SP of use (versus MP). Not that it's perfect, but the point system on Mt Project is based on contributions not votes so there's more of an incentive to contribute content.

The system here is largely based on contrbutions too, except that photos count too much as contributions. Way way too much actually. If you want an easy change, just make photos count 10% as much as they currently do. Makes sense to me.

A route page with a score of 86 is about 2.8 points, versus one with a 90 giving 3.4. Not much of a difference really considering the vote difference is 1 versus 40. Unfortunatelly, you need only submit 6 decent photos to equal what a route page is worth in the current point system.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 pm

For me, missing beta = opportunity to create it. If you've done a technical climb that doesn't have a route page on SP, then CREATE one! That's your chance to rack up all those valuable SP Power Points.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 pm

The discontents of mine that I pointed out aren't a matter of content. For me it is more a matter of site versatility & organization of the existing information (easy fix?), and the makeup & attitude of the site members.

I've fallen behind on submitting new pages or informative maps & photos but hopefully I can find time this winter. I've just been climbing too much!

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
lcarreau

FRhoderick

by FRhoderick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 am

Marmaduke wrote:

Respectfully, fred

Life is dull without meaningful debate. Everyone gets to decide what is meaningful to them, in my case, I deemed what was on SP to not be as meaningful to me as going to the gym, going on long days in the mountains, or climbing tons of trad to get better. My choice.

The following user would like to thank FRhoderick for this post
lcarreau

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:34 am

FRhoderick wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

Respectfully, fred

Life is dull without meaningful debate. Everyone gets to decide what is meaningful to them, in my case, I deemed what was on SP to not be as meaningful to me as going to the gym, going on long days in the mountains, or climbing tons of trad to get better. My choice.

Well that is your own fault. You haven't contributed anything to the content portion of the site, and though about half of your posts have good content that may help others, that is out of only 15.

If members want the site to have good content, they have to contribute it, either in the forums or as object pages. Just lurking and pulling the information they like doesn't help the site or others, and neither does whining that others should contribute more while they sit to the side.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:41 am

borutbk wrote:
lcarreau wrote:...AND ... see ya ...

No, don't!
C'mon Larry...

Oh, for cryin' out LOUD. I was just goin' outside for a little while; LATER returning to the warm and soothing GLOW of my computer.

Some of you "coffee mugs" are taking this thread WAY TOO SERIOUSLY .... but, thanks for your suggestions for improvement.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
chugach mtn boy

FRhoderick

by FRhoderick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 am

mrchad9 wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

Respectfully, fred

Well that is your own fault. You haven't contributed anything to the content portion of the site, and though about half of your posts have good content that may help others, that is out of only 15.

If members want the site to have good content, they have to contribute it, either in the forums or as object pages. Just lurking and pulling the information they like doesn't help the site or others, and neither does whining that others should contribute more while they sit to the side.

Since I have been back you are right. I haven't contributed anything or taken anything of use. Yep, my fault by choice.

The following user would like to thank FRhoderick for this post
rasgoat

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 am

I havent posted much lately since I'm terribly busy with college and hockey and all that, however SP is still a great (and pretty much only) place good for posting stuff people might actually see. This is the allure of joining SP.

People leave because they've covered pretty much everything they can and are left to diddle around in the forums. Things get said, your little girly ego gets stepped on and you decide to delete your pages.

OH YOU SURE SHOWED US!

IMO, most of the pages in my area are pretty useless, outdated etc. I try to make useful ones, but theyre all about obscure peaks that get 50 ascents a year. If I pulled my stuff, who would notice? Me deleting Triangle Mountain probably has no effect on most people, just like losing Knobacks pages were no skin off my bones. So why bother?

Seriously, its not like pulling your stuff serves as revenge, its just the final scream of your triumphant temper tantrum. Big deal, youre the one looking stupid, not us.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
lcarreau, Marmaduke, mrchad9, mvs

TimB

by TimB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm

lcarreau wrote:Hmmm .... :D

When I got up (late) this morning and turned on my computer, I was definitely surprised to see this thread at the TOP of the heap.

And the (former?) member who likened me to residing in a "padded hospital cell" made me THINK for a moment.

Doesn't the majority (of us) who (somehow) get addicted to COMPUTER FORUMS (me included) find ourselves often LOST in a self-imposed prison of our own making, unable to escape ??? ?? ?

YEP, just what I thought .... this is a Free Choice issue, and we should be able to LAUGH and PLAY the game as we choose. However we choose ..

THANKS to all of you who participated in this forum.

Gotta go outside NOW to fertilize the daises and trim the petunias .. and feed the donkeys ...AND ... see ya ...

Damn, Larry!
I didn't realize your trunk was that long...
:shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback