Double Images

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Double Images

by Bob Sihler » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:10 am

Matt,

I'm noticing today and other days recently that there have been a lot of instances of users posting two and even three identical images at a time. My guess is this has to do with the very slow uploading times some of us have been experiencing. In fact, earlier today I posted a double image. The load was so slow that I stopped it and restarted it. Later, I found two identical images in my gallery, one with the original caption and the second with a revised one.

I deleted that picture and have deleted some of the other duplicates I've seen, but there are surely many more.

Based on what happened to me today, I think pictures are uploading but are on the site before the user gets the confirmation, causing him or her to try again.

I'm just bringing this to your attention.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

Re: Double Images

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:43 am

I thought you were going for POTD there Bob. But you had no chance, what with submitting after 5:00 AM and all.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:12 am

Photo of the Day is over rated... sometimes. :wink: Although I do admit these days I don't expect to get Photo of the Day, but I do like seeing a few of my pictures in the "Best Rated within 1 Day" section. That is the main reason I try not to post late in the day. 8)

I never get the problem you guys mention because I use the Bulk Uploader. Sometimes its nice to use even on 1 or a few pictures (this prevents you from having the browser loading...). But even with the Bulk Uploader I've had in the past where the images seemed like they would never load so I would hit "close" but keep the bulk uploader open. A few seconds later "Your Photos have been submitted successfully". So the upload deal on sp can be quite weird sometimes.

But yes, the submitting pages is very slow! I planned on posting one of my cool trip reports, but for this reason plan on holding out. :(
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 am

I think Bob's right that the delay is causing people to try again, thinking their first submission didn't take. The delay is the worst I've ever seen on SP. Today, I thought I'd fix a one-letter typo in the caption of one of my informational photos. 30 minutes later, the change still wasn't done submitting.

mcorbs28

by mcorbs28 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 am

How do you use the Bulk Uploader? I haven't noticed this option, I don't like uploading one picture at a time, i lose attention after 10 or so pictures and stop uploading.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:41 am

Then it sounds like this tool is for you!
http://www.summitpost.org/summitpost-bu ... der/488357

Please use it responsibly! 8)

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
mcorbs28

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:46 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Matt,

I'm noticing today and other days recently that there have been a lot of instances of users posting two and even three identical images at a time. My guess is this has to do with the very slow uploading times some of us have been experiencing. In fact, earlier today I posted a double image. The load was so slow that I stopped it and restarted it. Later, I found two identical images in my gallery, one with the original caption and the second with a revised one.

I deleted that picture and have deleted some of the other duplicates I've seen, but there are surely many more.

Based on what happened to me today, I think pictures are uploading but are on the site before the user gets the confirmation, causing him or her to try again.

I'm just bringing this to your attention.

Bob, if you cut back on the beer, you'll stop seeing multiple images. I tried it and it worked. :lol:

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Bob Sihler

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 am

:x Even the bulk uploader is taking forever. (usually it by passes this problem)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:58 am

What does this mean?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA[/youtube]

Return to Site Feedback