What's New in CALIFORNIA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Pete has been pretty friendly and encouraging to Kathy in the past.

Now we return to our sponsored program, which is already in progress.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

1000Pks wrote:
If it's the lunatic/annoying/disparaging 1000pks that's responsible for her leaving - then I encourage the "elves" to f'ing man up and ban him.

I've heard nothing about that. I visit K's smugmug site regularly and admire the photos and wherewithall. Comments constantly like the previous sicko one no doubt keep many away from SP. There's probably hundreds of contributors that do not because of the sick mindless attacks as I get.

I apologize in advance Chad for using this thread to make these statements. Maybe if this was to go further a new thread could be started ("piss & moan).

With all do respect Pete, you are consistantly posting strange and bizarre thoughts. Conspiritorial, negative, demeaning, pompous, did I say bizarre, posts are your mantra. For someone who has experienced so much you could actually be productive towards this site, towards others and towards your insights. But you chose the forementioned. I would be willing to bet that your comments leave more SPers in a state of puzzlement not Kathy W. Try finding a "happy place" and go there Pete.

thegib

by thegib » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

At least I included an "If"! before disparaging 1000pks. Oh well, sorry to see KW go for reasons everyone else knows about.

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Maybe everyone should work on improving the vibe here rather than pointing fingers before more valued members decide to bail. I also appreciated Kathy's contributions,and maybe she'll come back around if we can stop acting like children (it was all Mattski, wasn't it? :D ). Seriously guys, take your bickering elsewhere. This is a cool thread for us "best-coasters."

That being said, and to put Mrchad's thread back on track, here are my first contributions:

http://www.summitpost.org/mile-high-mountain/683475

http://www.summitpost.org/coyote-mountain/683359

Let me know what you guys think, and if any improvements can be made. I would have taken better pics at the time if I had thought of adding the pages, but I believe I've added enough to get the peaks done smoothly. One thing I try to concentrate on, is finding the trailhead. Sounds simple, but on some of these obscure desert peaks, I sometimes question whether I'm even starting at the right place.

I have 30+ more I could add, but haven't for the same reason Kathy gave for deleting some of her peaks. They are unpopular peaks that really don't require very much beta, and will probably never have more than a few photos. Not sure if SP needs to be clogged up with every peak known to man, but let me know what you guys think. Wish I could contribute something more significant, but its slim pickings these days...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Those are nice pages Benjamin, I had overlooked them before. I think the content is very good, you have maps (so many people lack that), the route stats, and seemingly good directions. It has everything needed if someone is looking to go there.

I try to make part of the page is about enticing folks to go there (speaking more of a mountain page than a route page). True many of these are less frequented peaks, but maybe if the best of the area can be shown, more folks will spread out and visit less frequented areas. For that reason I would suggest maybe adding 3-5 more of the best photos you have (if you have them), but not 30. And if you integrate a couple of the best ones into the text, it might make someone stop on the page a little longer and perhaps consider a trip they weren't before. If you want to do that, put some photos in the text, and need help let me know.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Benjamin's page has about all you need to get there... but it might be nice to have a few summit shots. I was on Rabbit last week, and wondered what it would look like from Mile-High (and also wondered why Rosa Point is on the DPS list!).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Has anybody considered taking up Old Dad, one of KW's old pages? I generally don't do many pages, especially if the peaks are already well-described in Zdon or the DPS guide. However, I did do an "unusual" route on Old Dad, so might consider at least adding some route information.

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:59 pm

I'll take a look through my photos again, but I didn't take very many and I remember thinking the ones I did take weren't very good. I may have a summit shot though... I will be in the area again soon so I'll try to get some more photos when I'm there. MrChad, I was also thinking it would be nice to integrate a photo in the text, I'll work on it within a few days. Should be easy enough to figure out, but I'll hit you up if I run into problems, thank you.

Moapa, you didn't like Rosa? I'm not super familiar with the DPS list, but I thought the views looking east from Rosa were some of the best in the range. I also thought the S.Ridge route was more fun/challenging mile-for-mile than the hike up Villager/Rabbit...steeper/rockier...

Did you find my canteen? :D Haha...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:54 pm

benjamingray wrote:Moapa, you didn't like Rosa? I'm not super familiar with the DPS list, but I thought the views looking east from Rosa were some of the best in the range. I also thought the S.Ridge route was more fun/challenging mile-for-mile than the hike up Villager/Rabbit...steeper/rockier...

Did you find my canteen? :D Haha...

(more off topic, mea culpa!) I didn't go up Rosa-- It's a long drive, and we just did a quick up to Rabbit over Villager and out. One person had talked about going over to Mile High also, but there was absolutely no moon, we had less than 11 hrs between civil twilights, I had an injured ankle, and I didn't want to hike after dark. Afterward when I looked at the topo, it looked like Rosa had very little prominence, so I wondered why it was on the list. It's a long drive for me, so I doubt I'll go back for it. I guess a summit picture might have convinced me otherwise. ;)

Ze

by Ze » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 am

Rosa Pt plus Pyramid Peak makes a nice loop. Definitely worth being a peak IMO.

Created in late October but added a mountain page for Triplet Rocks. Maybe little prominence, but uh certainly requires enough effort to be deemed a peak :)

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 am

TacoDelRio wrote:Good stuff as always, Ben!

Thanks man! Always enjoy your stuff, nice to see some rather adventerous outings in the San Gs!

Ze wrote:Rosa Pt plus Pyramid Peak makes a nice loop. Definitely worth being a peak IMO.

I had considered putting a page up for Pyramid, didn't have the photos for it though. Cool peak with many approach/loop options...

Triplet looks interesting, thanks for posting! Might have to check that one out sometime soon...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Here's a page in the Alabama Hills by Marc...

http://www.summitpost.org/elephant-rock ... zza/684678

and one for Fremont Peak by 1000Peaks, with a few more photos added yesterday...

http://www.summitpost.org/fremont-peak-ca/684985

The latter still needs a couple shots from the summit!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Here is a Northern California classic that needed a page:

Deadfall Lakes Trail to the summit of Mount Eddy.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 pm

NancyHands wrote:Is anyone familiar with Ladyface in the Santa Monica Mountains? I've always wanted to put a page together for it. It's been a very popular peak in the Agoura Hills area since I was a kid. ... Ok - I gotta do this already.

I've been up there once, some real nice scrambling options if one is so inclined. Was actually quite surprised that there wasn't an existing SP page when I went looking for beta.

granjero

by granjero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:14 am

Just added a page for Emerald Point (arguably subsidiary peak of Jake's, but it is well defined in various ways and a ways away so what the heck)
http://www.summitpost.org/emerald-point/689887
Enjoy!

PreviousNext

Return to California