Wheat v. Chaff?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
MoapaPk

Re: Wheat v. Chaff?

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:18 am

Route pages are supposed to list the difficulty in the upper left, and most people seem pretty good about designating the YDS class and grade. I would think a person would know right away if the climb were technical or not; it seems like we are proposing a lot of changes just to keep people from having to hit the back button. Much of the problem really stems from the SP search function. Perhaps it should be easy to search for mountain names and class; perhaps the difficulty category should be automatically bolded and in red.

Consider:
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-whitney/150227

Most of the routes are technical; one is a walk-up; several are scrambles. Often technical climbers are keen to know the non-technical routes as well, for descent purposes. Folks who climb the Whitney technical routes often descend the Mountaineer's route.

mvs

Re: Wheat v. Chaff?

by mvs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 am

I've added a new section to the article about collaborative editing here. It incorporates the many comments/ideas I got so far. Thanks everyone for contributing. I also came up with a kind of mission statement:

As a technical climber, I deal in lots of small but important details. I don't have time to create full pages, and am more interested in up to date valid information. If I can provide small chunks of it here and there I would find the site more useful.

The idea is to turn that statement into a feature here at SP.

Previous

Return to Site Feedback