Burnside Road - near Lake Tahoe - Hawkins Peak - conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hgrapid

Burnside Road - near Lake Tahoe - Hawkins Peak - conditions?

by hgrapid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 pm

I am organizing a trip to hike Hawkins Peak and Pickett Peak south of Lake Tahoe near Luther Pass.

We understand that Burnside Road is dirt Forest Service Road. We want to know the conditions.

1) Can a 2WD low-clearance vehicle make it up the road?
2) If so, how far up the road before it turns too rough?

Our plan is to drive up to Pickett Peak Road, about 3 miles up, and park.

Thanks

fedak

by fedak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:00 am

Under normal summer conditions, you should be able to take a 2wd back to Pickett Road.

If you are planning on tagging both Hawkins and Pickett you are better off going past the Pickett Turnoff up to the road near Hawkins Creek:

http://www.fedak.net/photos/HawkinsPeak ... ndard.html

I *think* you can get a 2wd back that far (Think there might be one dicey section on the uphill). Don't remember my outback having any problems at all and there was some amount of traffic heading back to Burnside Lake.

This will allow you to gain the ridge w/o the horrible bushwack between Pickett Road and the peak.

no avatar
edall

Re: Burnside Road - near Lake Tahoe - Hawkins Peak - conditi

by edall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 pm

hgrapid wrote:I am organizing a trip to hike Hawkins Peak and Pickett Peak south of Lake Tahoe near Luther Pass.
We understand that Burnside Road is dirt Forest Service Road. We want to know the conditions.
1) Can a 2WD low-clearance vehicle make it up the road?
2) If so, how far up the road before it turns too rough?
Our plan is to drive up to Pickett Peak Road, about 3 miles up, and park by one of the North Lake Tahoe Hotels or South Lake Tahoe Hotels
Thanks

Many thanks,

E. Dall

Marmaduke

Re: Burnside Road - near Lake Tahoe - Hawkins Peak - conditi

by Marmaduke » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:56 am

I was there this past Memorial Day and I'm very certain the road was gated and locked then. We parked on the side of the road (Burnside) to start the hike up Pickett.

Return to California