Foul Weather Peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
mtybumpo

Foul Weather Peaks

by mtybumpo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what some good foul weather/winter peaks in the Wasatch are? I'm trying to put together a list for this fall winter. I've been out a lot during the winter but I prefer to have company for safety and just cause it's more fun. I'm looking for peaks that wouldn't really be a major technical expedition in the winter (i.e. day trips) and that have routes that are reasonably safe from avalanches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Foul Weather Peaks

by ZeeJay » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 pm

The classic is Mt Olympus. It is relatively sheltered from the wind and so many people go up it in the winter that typically it will have a well packed obvious trail. The lower part is often bare. Half day.

A more ambitious peak would be South Thunder from Alpine. You'll likely be breaking trail all the way on this one. All day.

Upper Bells Peak (from Alpine) is probably the last of the higher peaks that can be done without snowshoes. 3/4 of a day

Two easy ones are Mount Wire and Grandeur. A few hours.

In the late fall you will find lots of people on Grandeur and Olympus. To get off the beaten path, if there isn't too much snow, Raymond from the S Turn in Big Cottonwood Canyon is a good choice.

mtybumpo

by mtybumpo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:44 pm

ZeeJay wrote:The classic is Mt Olympus. It is relatively sheltered from the wind and so many people go up it in the winter that typically it will have a well packed obvious trail. The lower part is often bare. Half day.

A more ambitious peak would be South Thunder from Alpine. You'll likely be breaking trail all the way on this one. All day.

Upper Bells Peak (from Alpine) is probably the last of the higher peaks that can be done without snowshoes. 3/4 of a day

Two easy ones are Mount Wire and Grandeur. A few hours.

In the late fall you will find lots of people on Grandeur and Olympus. To get off the beaten path, if there isn't too much snow, Raymond from the S Turn in Big Cottonwood Canyon is a good choice.

Those are good suggestions. I've been thinking of doing Olympus and Grandeur as winter climbs but the others I hadn't hear of. My snowshoes, ice ax, and crampons are starting to call out to me from the gear stash. Any other peak suggestions you may have that are decent snowshoe trips or fairly straightforward alpine climbs would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Mooner

by Mooner » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Those are great winter peaks but if you are looking to use crampons or ice axes, they aren't a good choice. There are lots of good climbes but one that comes to mind is the Timpanogos's Everest Ridge. You can check out my photos from last February here on SP, but honestly if you are looking to get out this fall and winter in Utah, come join "Utah Outsiders" on facebook. We have a good group that gets out all year long. For example I posted that I am going to be traversing Nebo tomorrow and this coming fri or sat we are going to do the Cottonwood ridge.

mtybumpo

by mtybumpo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Mooner wrote:Those are great winter peaks but if you are looking to use crampons or ice axes, they aren't a good choice. There are lots of good climbes but one that comes to mind is the Timpanogos's Everest Ridge. You can check out my photos from last February here on SP, but honestly if you are looking to get out this fall and winter in Utah, come join "Utah Outsiders" on facebook. We have a good group that gets out all year long. For example I posted that I am going to be traversing Nebo tomorrow and this coming fri or sat we are going to do the Cottonwood ridge.

I'll definitely join the group! Since I'm new here I'd like to meet some of the local climbers and get together. Thanks!

Dentedvw

by Dentedvw » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 pm

I too would like to get out and get my feet, er, not necessarily wet. :D At least until spring again.
I've been anticipating this winter nearly my whole life, as I have been trying to get here for what seems like forever.
If you ask any of my friends, I have acquired just about all the gear one would ever need for nearly anything, but I think there is still some items left. However, I have been getting out and doing the things I love since I got here in June. My first hike was Lone Peak, and I guess that has set the bar pretty high.
Definitely up for some mountaineering, touring, etc. I have been snowboarding and exploring alone mostly, but with winter coming on, it seems less like a good idea. So I too am looking for some beginner to intermediate mountaineering routes, mixed, ice, AT...
Michael

Dentedvw

by Dentedvw » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Also, I "liked" the Utah Outsiders group on FB, but it appears I am only the third one, and there are no wall posts, so maybe I am on the wrong page?

mtybumpo

by mtybumpo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Dentedvw wrote:Also, I "liked" the Utah Outsiders group on FB, but it appears I am only the third one, and there are no wall posts, so maybe I am on the wrong page?

It took me forever to find the actual group. Here's the link to it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/utahoutsiders/
Also if you ever need a partner for your adventures let me know and I'll be glad to team up with you.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 am

Hey Bumpo - what's up ???

I'll never forget when I climbed Mount Nebo with my brother. We got caught in a flash flood, and had to spend the night in the sedan.

Mount Nebo will definitely give you a challenge, as the weather is constantly changing on the spur of the moment.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to Utah