comparable world scenery to Ansel Adams Wilderness / Sabrina

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
circusoflife

comparable world scenery to Ansel Adams Wilderness / Sabrina

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:24 am

For those who are familiar with the scenery around the Lake Sabrina / Ansel Adams wilderness --- are there any other places in the world which you find similar? TONS of alpine lakes, subalpine forests -- trees, but not a "thick forest everywhere" - ample spacing, many valleys, craggy peaks...no villages

Landscapes around Devil's Postpile / Lake Sabrina / Rock Creek trailheads seem to "float my boat" at the moment.

Have traveled a good chunk of our planet (~75 countries / 140+ UN World Heritage Sites)....not into climbing, only hiking. So...been to a lot of places and I can't think of any place that has this certain mix of textures and colors of these parts of the Sierra Nevada - and accessibility.

Some of the landscapes of Corsica and Sardinia (In photos/videos - never been) remind me a little bit of it - granted these are with ocean views not far away...also lower elevation, far fewer lakes too.

None of the scenery in the European Alps seems comparable...though maybe I just don't know about certain specific areas...not an expert on the alps...though I am learning. Maybe some areas in Norway? Northern Italy lakes area (Though many of the lakes are surrounded by towns) Banff area of Canada?

While I have hiked in many countries, I can't say I've always made it a point to do so, let alone really learn about the mtn geography...as I often traveled for cultural reasons, historical ruins, learning about cities, scuba diving, etc...able to eliminate huge chunks of the world which are not comparable though.

well..maybe kind of a strange question...thxs

Rob

Re: comparable world scenery to Ansel Adams Wilderness / Sab

by Rob » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 am

This is the most beautiful place on earth.
There are many such places. Edward Abbey

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 pm

There is a time to be stoic and philosophical, and there is a time when the DEvil is in the DEtails.

One (wo)man's treasure, is another (wo)man's junk. One wo(man)'s proof / evidence, is another wo(man's) folly.

Who knows how LOVE / LIVE / LIFE is EVOL / EVIL -- at the same time?

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:04 pm

The mountains of Chile/Argentina, the area just south (and inland) of Santiago, are somewhat similar to the Sierra Nevada. Generally, the Andes in that area are about as far south of the Equator as San Diego is north of it, so go a few hundred miles south of Santiago and you'll get close to what you're looking for. Don't go too far south, as it just gets into damper areas similar to traveling north of the Sierra Nevada into Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
circusoflife

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for the tip phydeux. Checking out images on Google Earth right now...
at first I was looking at the Chilean Lake District (Siete Lagos)...but that wasn't what I was looking for.

Then I navigated to Pumalin park and those around it (South of Puerto Montt)...nope. Then I read your email again, and I think I found what you told me to look for.

Between NE of Puerto Montt and Southwest of Mendoza, Argentina. Scanning 500 miles North to South of terrain there...some incredible views...and images that are completely new to me.
I can see some (relative) similarities emerging in some of the images...though I haven't found the right mix.

Wicked looking trees here in this park...though this is a little too forested for this exercise perhaps. Further North I go...
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parque_Na ... Huerquehue
http://www.travelaid.cl/DetalleMapas/ca ... sfotos.htm
http://www.travelaid.cl/eng/excursions/ ... slagos.htm

Central Chile (Other than Santiago, and "nearby" Bariloche, Argentina) is a big blank for me - though I once took a 3 day cruise/ferry from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt (then bus to Bariloche - but I barely remember anything from the bus ride) ...mostly coastal scenery though...mostly clouded over I'll add. I've been to San Pedro de Atacama and surrounding areas and Perito Moreno area.

I guess it would be logical that what I am looking for lies between the dry desert north, and the wet south (glaciers) -- as u state.

The great thing about this search is even if I don't find anything similar...I will get to enjoy the AA/Sabrina area next year for 1-3 weeks in July. Really looking forward to Garnet / Thousand Island lakes.

I've visited Half-Dome, Bristlecone Pine forest 2-3 times, 4x4 in the Buttermilk, and a short hike near Sabrina/Bishop, but I've never hiked further nor any trails near Mammoth Lakes, or Rock Creek. Amazing what was in my extended backyard (Used to live in OC, California for 6 years) that I never knew about...

..sometimes one has to voyage far and wide before they realize the beauty in their backyard.

Places (Ideas & people, things too) that were once "beautiful / attractive" to me, are now "ugly / unattractive" and things that were once unremarkable/semi-remarkable, are now superlative...voyage of the soul....and knowledge of thySELF.

Baarb

by Baarb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:33 pm

You might like the Nahuel Huapi region near Bariloche, there's a 3-5 day trek / traverse that goes through the mountains there, taking in Cerro Catedral amongst many others. Doesn't look like too much from low down but once you get high up and onto the routes it's really quite something.

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
circusoflife

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Did you run deeper into the trailheads around Postpile? The Minarets and the series of lakes they encircle at different levels are truly spectacular. The trailheads from Kings Canyon to East Lake towards Ericcson Crags, Thunder Mountain, or North Guard Cirque are the equal of anything normally approached from Eastside.

My favorite spot on earth though, is surely Corsica, hands-down, beyond even remote compare: it fits the desired criteria to a T, and its beauty is almost unbelievable; you could spend a lifetime just looking at a single Chinese landscape-esque vista of the Bavella's colossal granite towers, clouds tearing through them, with the Tyrrhenian Sea far below and bathed in the scent of the maquis. It'll help if you speak Italian and carry a knife ;)

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Baarb wrote:You might like the Nahuel Huapi region near Bariloche, there's a 3-5 day trek / traverse that goes through the mountains there, taking in Cerro Catedral amongst many others. Doesn't look like too much from low down but once you get high up and onto the routes it's really quite something.

Thanks! Muchas gracias!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuel_Hu ... ional_Park
http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/andes/andes02a.htm

That does look yummy...so to speak. Still scanning hike photos of the traverse...looks like it could be a "winner!" My memory of Bariloche from an early 2003 SAmer trip is of chocolate stores, intersections with no street lights, and playing golf on a 9-hole course which was so small that on more than one hole, if I recall correctly -- the drive might find your ball on the fairway of a previous hole....or some such comedy.

I didn't explore any mountains around Bariloche - which could have been a function of what I was looking for at that stage of the 6-week trip. Only had a few days there anyway... but...next time in the area...looks like a can't miss.

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:53 pm

sharperblue wrote:Did you run deeper into the trailheads around Postpile? The Minarets and the series of lakes they encircle at different levels are truly spectacular. The trailheads from Kings Canyon to East Lake towards Ericcson Crags, Thunder Mountain, or North Guard Cirque are the equal of anything normally approached from Eastside.

My favorite spot on earth though, is surely Corsica, hands-down, beyond even remote compare: it fits the desired criteria to a T, and its beauty is almost unbelievable; you could spend a lifetime just looking at a single Chinese landscape-esque vista of the Bavella's colossal granite towers, clouds tearing through them, with the Tyrrhenian Sea far below and bathed in the scent of the maquis. It'll help if you speak Italian and carry a knife ;)

I saw a trip report to Lake Italy and also the Minarets, if I have time I will go -- looked spectacular. Ericcson Crags, Thunder Mtn, North Guard Cirque, don't ring a bell...I will check them out. Thxs!

As for Corsica -- well my plan is to go back to the Canary Islands next year and visit Madeira for the 1st time. Corsica is on my secondary list to visit, not sure if I will have time. Thanks for the plug. Here's an awesome video on Vimeo....I speak Spanish (Been living in Colombia the last ~5 years), and some Portuguese...and some ugly French. But mastering the hardest language now -- NO WORDS.

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm

just had a delayed reaction to your -- speaking Italian and carrying a knife comment...now I get it.

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:17 pm

sharperblue,

Seeing that u live in San Fran area - this may be irrelevant, but if you ever visit Orange County, there is scenery that may be "sorta like" the tops of the Corsican mountains off ORTEGA HIGHWAY.

More info here..

http://abhiking.blogspot.com/2010/01/ortega-falls.html

went hiking and 4x4ing in these parts back in the day...some nice memories...

The following user would like to thank circusoflife for this post
sharperblue

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks, Circus! I'll file that away next time I'm in the area. The closest I've come yet in many years is a scent of the maquis at about 6k feet entering the Kaweas and Kings; funny how powerful memories can be evoked by scent alone

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Circus, The scenery you are trying to match arose from a number of independent factors whose convergence and timing would be difficult to match elsewhere. The numerous Sierra lakes in your favorite area were formed by a unique set of circumstances: 1) Numerous granitic bubbles (plutons) of all sizes rose through lithosphere but solidified before breaking through the upper sedimentary layers, forming underground domes. 2) The overlying sedimentary layers eroded away revealing the more resistant domes of granite. 3) Large glaciers scoured the valleys, but frequently were forced to go up and over these domes forming depressions behind them. 4) The glaciers receded and the depressions filled with water. 5) This all occurred at what is now near the tree line in an area that gets little summer rain. These conditions produce the open forest with sparse undergrowth and reduces the amount sediment that would quickly fill similar shallow lakes.

I haven't traveled as widely as you have, but I've browsed photos from many mountainous areas and have never found anything really similar. My recommendation is to explore more of the multi-lake basins of the Sierra (check out my photos), many of which are near treeline. My favorites are Convict Creek Basin, Kearsarge Lakes/Rae Lakes/60 Lakes, Recesses/Pioneer Basin, Desolation and many others.

The following user would like to thank foweyman for this post
circusoflife

no avatar
circusoflife

by circusoflife » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:57 pm

foweyman --- your photos are amazing! And thanks for the technical explanation. The one geology course I took in college (A 300-level course, I skipped 100-level, a mistake), I got a 2.2/4 or some other miserable grade close to that.

In my head I had "written off" exploring much of Kings Canyon next year because the scenery didn't fit what I am looking for at the moment...but now it looks like I AM VERY WRONG. First impressions - often wrong! Thanks.

I was thinking of hiking to at least LeConte Canyon...now it looks like I might have to go a little further. Rae Lakes is incredible and the other areas you've photographed. You might have just caused me to extend my trip by at least a few more days.

Have just been learning about the Lofoten area in Norway, too cold for what I am looking for at the moment.....but it looks like you've been there. Perhaps you will find the following DVD of interest..not about Lofoten - but Spitsbergen and Greenland Mtn scenery.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJnTyMPSp8[/youtube]

http://www.pilotseye.tv/?la=en

Well done series of videos....

and as a thanks to all who have opened my eyes to new places -- perhaps you might find this video of interest, as we are talking about areas with a lot of water --

Water - The Great Mystery

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rgHfbUkFM[/youtube]

if anyone finds that interesting...I can direct you to more videos about water and light, and other things we take for granted...."profound secrets" lying right in front of our very eyes...our blood is 80% water, and our brain is around the same...

Next

Return to California