Kings Peak (Utah) in January

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
PrinceOfNorway

Kings Peak (Utah) in January

by PrinceOfNorway » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey all,

Some friends and I are planning on a Kings Peak attempt in January via Henry's Fork. We're going to try to ski in, but I couldn't find any trip reports of people that have done this in January. From the trip reports of the group that does it once a year I understand that the road is only paved so far. Does anyone know how close to the trail head on can get in the winter? Also, if anyone has done this or if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anders

Moogie737

Re: Kings Peak (Utah) in January

by Moogie737 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 pm

The Wasatch Mountain Club has an annual ski trip to Kings Peak the third or fourth weekend in March. The road to the Henrys Fork TH is plowed to a point, then you must park and hike in a couple of extra miles to reach the Th where the pit toilets are located, etc.

January is a brutally cold month in the Uintas; I think the month of March will offer slightly milder temperatures and certainly more snow for a base. I have made the club trip twice, once on skis and once on snowshoes, and I am not sure I would want to venture out into the deep Uintas in January because of the extremes offered by Mother Nature. I'm not a wimp, but I'm not adverse to picking and choosing based on common sense, history and probability. Good luck.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 pm

The plowing stops at N40.9526 W110.31492 where the main road makes a U Turn and the road to the Henrys Fork Trailhead continues straight. It is 3.5 miles from this point to the summer trail. Good luck!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 am

Moogie737 wrote:I'm not a wimp ...

Well, I AM a wimp ... that's why I live in Arizona.

8)

ZeeJay wrote:It is 3.5 miles from this point to the summer trail. Good luck!

Geez, the poor guy has to ski approximately 19.5 miles to Kings, (39 miles RT), and you're wishing him GOOD LUCK? That's simply hilarious, Judy.

:lol:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I've been there in January (New Years Weekend 2000-2001). We actually ended up climbing Flat Top Mt instead of Kings though, because it was obvious that we would run out of time before the summit of Kings was reached.

As mentioned, you can drive withing 3.5 miles of the summer trailhead, making it one of the more accessible of the Utah 13ers in winter.

If you have to break trail, it's going to be a long trip. If you get lucky and the trails is broken, it is much easier. Either way, plan on several days.

Return to Utah