Bearproof on FTD Plateau

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Doublecabin

Re: Bearproof on FTD Plateau

by Doublecabin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Grizzlies are being forced to adapt to climate change, and that can mean extended presence at high altitude moth sites. In our part of Greater Yellowstone it used to be Grizzlies ate cutthroats in the spring, elk calves in late May and early June, lots of grasses/flowers through July, whitebark pine nuts in August, and moths in late August through September and even into October. They can eat moths in July too though, just depends.

With what has happened to the Whitebarks I would not rule out Grizzlies gorging on moths in earlier summer. Moths represent for many bears their most important energy storage source, sometimes getting half a years worth of their total needs in just a month.

I'm not a big fan of that map either. Grizzlies have expanded their RESIDENT range immensely in recent years, being seen well East of the Rocky Mountain Front in MT. and more and more in the Winds and Gros Ventres of Wyoming that were not long ago widely considered Grizzly free. I expect they will show up in Wyoming's Sierra Madre and Snowy Ranges before long.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)