Panorama's Not as Appreciated as other Photos

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Matt Lemke

Re: Panorama's Not as Appreciated as other Photos

by Matt Lemke » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Speaking for myself, 99% of what I post are panoramas and if this "panoramas are less popular" statement is correct it may expain why none of my photos have made POD or POW despite many other SP members of people telling me they should.

I love panoramas and think if someone doesn't take time to view them then it's their loss. Josh can attest to my addiction to panoramas. If you take a look through my photos, most of them are and oddly enough, most of my 30 highest score photos are my photos that are not panoramas. This disgusts me a little. Others' panoramic shots are what really make me drool about climbing a mountain or heading into a new place.

Then again though, I HATE vertical shots. Why anyone takes these is beyond me and I honestly never take the time to look at these so I guess I can't complain about people not taking the time to look at my panos...

IMO, summit photos that are not panoramas should be outlawed, unless it's a zoom shot of a single peak in the distance...people will always want to know what is just off to the left or right from the summit.

Now shots in valleys or at lakes IMO are equally as good as a single shot or a panorama.

Just my 2 cents...Josh, you should keep posting panoramas. Don't make mrchad and I be the only ones!

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
Josh Lewis

Baarb

by Baarb » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Just my 2 cents...Josh, you should keep posting panoramas. Don't make mrchad and I be the only ones!

For all you pano fans, 31 albums of them: http://www.summitpost.org/panorama-s-collected/348201

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:33 pm

We should make an album for the correct and incorrect usage's of apostrophe's.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 am

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 am

Agreed! Many of his panorama's got a mentioning from me in the Photo Appreciation Thread. Now why non of his panorama's did not get Photo of the Week is beyond me.

Now only 21 votes.... To me this is proof that panorama's are not as appreciated.

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Agreed! Many of his panorama's got a mentioning from me in the Photo Appreciation Thread. Now why non of his panorama's did not get Photo of the Week is beyond me.

Now only 21 votes.... To me this is proof that panorama's are not as appreciated.

Well, 22 now. What an amazing panorama....wow....

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:37 am

Forgot to mention that I mix up votes and appreciation. :wink: Anyways, I'll still keep posting panoramas. 8)

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:07 am

A panorama from the summit of Tawney Point, Sierra Nevada, California, showing the Tyndall, Whitney, the Great Western Divide and Diamond Mesa.

Pieced together in Photoshop.

http://www.summitpost.org/panorama-from-tawney-point/773516/c-538469

Enjoy

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:00 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Agreed! Many of his panorama's got a mentioning from me in the Photo Appreciation Thread. Now why non of his panorama's did not get Photo of the Week is beyond me.

Maybe because the links on each photo direct you to a place where you can buy the pictures? Maybe because the pictures posted here are transparent attempts at self-promotion that most SP members see right through?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis, lcarreau, mrchad9

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:29 am

Ok Bob you got me on that one. :lol: :wink: But I know there are other panorama's that go plenty under appreciated because of how it displays on SP.

Sometimes my mind filters out links below the picture. I guess I give into eye candy too easy. 8)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:19 am

Josh, there are fantastic photos of all aspect ratios on this site that have unusually low vote scores for various reasons. Heck there are highly rated photos that are pretty crappy too. I wouldn't be too concerned about, just hit the ones you like, and if it is really good comment on it and say so.

oldandslow

by oldandslow » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 am

It takes a gret deal of patience to see a panorama on Summit Post. I usually do not wait and I am retired.

peninsula

by peninsula » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:47 am

Come on, It is about the light!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 am

peninsula wrote:Come on, It is about the light!

"Caroline, don't go into the light !"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDdGan2kdQ&feature=related

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
peninsula

Brewer

by Brewer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:A panorama from the summit of Tawney Point, Sierra Nevada, California, showing the Tyndall, Whitney, the Great Western Divide and Diamond Mesa.

Pieced together in Photoshop.

http://www.summitpost.org/panorama-from-tawney-point/773516/c-538469

Enjoy

Yes, I can tell it's pieced together in Photoshop - because it's not pieced together well. Sorry, nothing personal, but that's a terrible panorama. Bad seams all over the place: between frame 1 and 2 on the left side, the horizontal "ghost seam" in the rocks below Mt. Whitney, the blurry seam to the right of Whitney, seams seams seams, and clone stamp tool marks. The right side of the image is vastly better than the left, though, so there's that.

Tips: use a tripod, preferably with a panoramic tripod head (which rotates the camera around it's entrance pupil, eliminating parallax), take all your shots with the same White Balance (not auto), same exposure settings, same ISO. If you meter your landscape correctly, and with some processing, this will actually help eliminate seams after stitching. As for stitching, use a dedicated panorama program. I use PTAssembler (search for Max Lyons) with Enblend, then PSCS2.

Here's my work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpinephotographer/, and here's the subset of panoramas and mosaics (some of which go up to 40 component images): http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpinephotographer/sets/72157622177678232/. A handful of those panoramas were done exclusively in Photoshop before I had stitching software. It's possible, but it takes much more work and can be very difficult if you don't use a pano tripod head (I use a Nodal Ninja 3).

PreviousNext

Return to General